How often do you update your installation? (tests-passed)

(ljpp) #1

It starts to look like that tests-passed makes more sense than beta branch. However I’d rather not update very frequently, so those of you running on tests-passed:

###How often do you update?

• Daily / immediately when available
  • Weekly
  • Bi-weekly
  • Monthly
  • Less often

0 voters

Any suggestions for good/best practices are welcome.

sorry for the ignorance what’s tests-passed ?

(ljpp) #3

A Discourse branch, the default one.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I update my DO droplets about once a week on average, probably. That’s what I’d recommend if you want to follow latest closely. Otherwise about once a month is probably sufficient.

I don’t recommend staying on a fixed version for the entire duration of betas, which can be 4+ months.

(Sam) #5

I update my installation roughly daily, but I have a relatively small (and forgiving) community and I generally have the time to work out small errors or appropriately convey my panic in the forum of a #bug report here.

Exceptions are made in the case of particularly large updates (e.g. the recent vdom update) or ones that I’ve decided are in some way likely to give me an unusual amount of trouble.

Updating this way though isn’t really necessary at all, I just like shiny new things, and it rarely gives me any trouble (and so far no trouble that hasn’t been resolved in short order).

(ljpp) #6

My problem is time. Even the beta update frequency is “too often”, and apparently plugin breakages occur in the beta branch as well.

Most likely will switch to stable once the 1.5 is out the door. Less time tinkering with the back-end, more time to build the community.

(Clay Heaton) #7

Just Discourse? Or do you apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade etc?

I wouldn’t dist_upgrade a production rig without testing first. One day that will break your system.

Google AdSense plugin
(omfg) #9

That’s one of the scary scenarios. Especially if your plugin cocktail is somewhat unique.

I adhere to the old enterprise best practice: delay upgrades as long as you can :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Discourse alone once a week. Every two months I recommend SSH’ing in and doing

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

As far as Ubuntu updates, make sure you have automatic security updates enabled for your Ubuntu. I don’t find apt-get dist-upgrade to be that risky, despite what @webeindustry said, but it shouldn’t be necessary very often. So to summarize:

• update Discourse weekly (if you want) via web updater
  • update the container every two months
  • update the OS every six months

You could double these numbers and still be fairly safe, e.g. update container every 4 months, OS once every 12 months, and so on.

But you really, really want automatic security updates enabled in Ubuntu – all our DO installs that I touch already have this but the command is dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades.

Cheap Docker hosting?

As long as you don’t do it too frequently and go over which packages will be removed and upgraded you take little risk. The fairly high risk would be in setting up a policy to dist-upgrade without inspecting at a high interval like daily or weekly. Personally I would setup my own repository of specific package versions need be for rigs with an identical test rig to try out individual new package upgrades. If success, pull the new branch of packages on the production rigs, but that’s beyond the scope of your average single vps forum hoster.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #12

There is now an official howto for this. Please comment there with questions or corrections!

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13