How setup permision security uncategorized category

(Sora &\) #1

i see uncategorized category can’t setup security permision group. Why i can’t?
And how i setup it?
Thank everyone

(Bhanu Sharma) #2

Because it is the default system generated category.

I don’t think it allows to set up Any security permissions.

Best that you can do is to move topics to a category with relevant permissions applied and leave uncategorized blank.

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

This is among the reasons that make me think that allow uncategorized topics should be disabled by default and a site setting for “default category” should be added.

Uncategorized is not a category. It’s an un-category. You can’t change anything about it. You should disable uncategorized and create your own “off topic” (or some name other than “uncategorized”) category.

(Bhanu Sharma) #4

On the same time, I think that an anti-category needs to exists as a fallback solution.

(Sora &\) #5

Thank all :slight_smile: for everything

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

The argument, as I understand it, is that having to select a category is an extra step that keeps people from creating topics. That makes lots of sense to me, but people are often confused that Uncategorized is not a category. I think that it’s confusing enough that it should be enabled only if you understand what you’re getting.

(Bhanu Sharma) #7

I think in that case, a switch to disable categorization makes more sense.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Yeah, but forcing a category on everything is a boil the sea solution. People need to be able to deal with it; sometimes the form can be left blank, and blank is easier.