How to actually upload files to a new Discourse?

Disclaimer: I have been googling and searching for this the better part of this day. Everything that is referenced that I find seems to be outdated or linking to broken links or saying to search, which brings me back to those same pages. More disclaimer: This is the first time I’ve ever touched RoR anything.

Got a new Discourse up on a brand new droplet on DO. Can’t for the life of me figure out how to upload images like a new logo to get this to work. I SFTP into the server, and /var/www/discourse/ doesn’t exist, as Discourse Meta would lead me to do. I’ve actually went through, as far as I can tell, every single folder on this droplet, and can’t find any CSS or images of the Discourse install. What gives?

I’m sitting on the admin settings page, looking at the current path of the logo (/images/d-logo-sketch.png). /images/ relative to WHAT?

(Tobias Eigen) #2

you want to upload the files you need to a post. It can be a hidden post in a staff category, and in fact discourse comes preloaded with a topic just for this purpose. On my (older) site it’s called “Assets for the site design”.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Please read the READ ME FIRST: admin quick start guide topic that is present as a staff topic in every new Discourse install. It covers this in quite some detail.

Hello,

@tobiaseigen @codinghorror I’m following the guide, but when I upload a PNG file it is automatically converting to a jpg.

I’ve gone through to authorized_extensions and made sure that png is a recognized file type. I’m not sure how to fix this

(cpradio) #5

Set png to jpg quality to 100 to disable the feature, then upload your png.

This is brilliant - thank you. Can’t believe I missed that.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I would change it back afterwards otherwise the risk of giant png uploads is quite high.

Include images and fonts in themes

Ah, so that’s the logic behind the setting.

I’m going to do as much design work as possible now then, and change it back to prevent that. Thanks for the heads up - I know I’m going to make lots of rookie mistakes but I appreciate everyone’s willingness to help.