How to change colors for users whose icon is a letter?

(Jeff Mc Donald) #1

When setting up Discourse I can pick and customize colors for categories, but when new posters come they are assigned a random color for their icon. Some of these icon colors clash with the rest of the page. Is there any way they can be customized?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes, you can specify a default set of avatars for new users in the site settings.

(Jeff Mc Donald) #3

Hi Jeff,

that is great news!

but I have looked and looked and can’t find a setting where I can change the colors of avatars.

can you please tell me the location of that setting.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

“default avatars” is the name of the setting.

(Mittineague) #5

Under Settings Files I see this

This is very good for allowing forums to use their own theme avatar sets.

But I think what Jeff_McDonald is looking to do is a bit different.

I may be wrong, but my take is he wants to use the Discourse default generated avatars, but limit the colors the algo chooses. eg.

“yellow and orange don’t match our forum’s theme but the other colors are all OK. How can I prevent yellow and orange avatars from being created?”

I guess this could be possible (I believe anything is possible with code given adequate time and resources) but I think in this case the best thing would be to ask the members to upload their own or indeed, use an alternative default set.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

You can do that with the setting I linked to above. By specifying a set of avatars that you want.