How to change the logo Url?

(Wassame) #1

Hello, I have discourse installed but its on a subdomain, I would like the logo to return the user to the original website, how might I do this? - Is there a snippet I can use or maybe a plugin?

Help understanding the structure of using discourse + static website
(Jens Maier) #2

You should consider adding another header above Discourse’s own header (compare How-To Geek’s Discourse instance).

The logo and text in the default header are dynamic, change whenenver you scroll down a topic and are used for in-forum navigation; fiddling with it would either make its behaviour inconsistent or it’d become annoyingly hard to browse from a topic back to the topic list.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

There is an example of exactly this in the READ ME FIRST: Admin Quick Start Guide that comes with every Discourse.

If only we could get people to read it…

(Sigurður Guðbrandsson) #4

Bribing with beer works for me … I’ll read any doc if the beer supply is good. :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I am thinking larger font, Comic Sans, maybe some <blink>

(Jens Maier) #6

Ditch the developer_emails setting, let the launcher run rake admin:create, create the admin user with a random password, put the password somewhere into the quick start guide near the bottom and send the whole thing via email… :wink:

(Sam Saffron) #7

we still need is_developer cause only developers have access to rack-mini-profiler

(山) #8

Well if you’re thinking of that then you might as well go all the way.

(Jens Maier) #9

What did I just look at and why did I spend 10 minutes looking at all of it? :flushed:

(山) #10

(Eric Hake) #11

The example works in the desktop mode, but I loose the header nav in mobile mode on an iPhone, for example.

Is there a setting somewhere that allows me to specify which URL is linked to the forum logo?

I too would like to have this go back to the main site rather than the direct URL of the discourse forums.

(Alicia) #12

I would also like the header logo to go to our website as a integrated part of our site instead of a separate feature without the need of using a ton of real estate on 2 headers. Please :smile: or if there is a javascript solution?

(Sam Saffron) #13

We depend quite a lot on the functionality though, both:

and

Are effectively the “home” button, taking away this functionality leaves you with no way of easily getting home.

Can you post a mockup of how you whish this worked?

(Alicia) #14

I want to logo to take the user back to the corporate site because it would flow with the rest of our site being the nav bar list items are what you press to get to that area and the logo is there so you can return home home.

photo below of the current look on our discourse page, our site header matches really well in that the log in/signup/account buttons are where the admin panel is currently and sso is set up.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

It will be a usability problem, if users expect to go back to the community homepage in that case. We got reamed out by no less than Don Norman himself (see Wikipedia if you aren’t familar) when a very early Discourse customer removed the logo-to-go-back behavior.

But if they can learn to click there instead, I suppose… we recommend stacked nav in this case.

(RBoy) #16

Okay I’m missing something here, I’ve read the guide a couple of times, I’ve searched for the words logo and image. I look at the admin settings page and the logo appears to be some folder called images but for the life of me in /var/discourse I can’t find any folder called images (I can see image with nothing in it) but no images.

Then I decide to run the wizard (twice), I get an option to select custom logo/icons, no matter what file I upload a JPG or PNG it just doesn’t seem to do anything with it, is just keep saying uploading.

So what am I not doing here or not seeing?

(Arpit Jalan) #18

This is a legit bug and I can reproduce it locally. Fixing now.

(Arpit Jalan) #19

This issue has been fixed via:

Once you update your Discourse instance, the images/attachments will be uploaded at this path:
/var/discourse/shared/standalone/uploads/default/original