How to Configure Domain name in Digital Ocean to Connect with Discourse

(Siraj Mahmood) #1

@codinghorror @matt5834 I have registered my domain name on iPage, where I created sub-domain for community like forum.example.com now I purchased Digital ocean and want to configure my iPage in Digital ocean to connect with discourse, what is the procedure, Please guide step by step, I know it will be easy but want help to understand this one aspect.
Thank You!

(Kane York) #2

I’ve never used iPage, but you generally want to set up a DNS “A” record pointing to your Digital Ocean IP address.

(Siraj Mahmood) #3

Doesn’t matter you do not use iPage. I just want the way how can I add or point the domain or sub-domain in digital ocean to connect with discourse.

(Tom Newsom) #4

This is something you need to do at your domain registrar. You need to tell them that your.domain.com should point at the IP address of your Digital Ocean droplet.

So it does matter that he doesn’t use iPage, because that’s where you need to make the setting!

(Siraj Mahmood) #5

Thank you @Tom_Newsom
Will you please tell me where I can get this IP address to give him iPage management to connect both domain and discourse?

(Tom Newsom) #6

Go to https://cloud.digitalocean.com

There it is

eg.

(Siraj Mahmood) #7

Thank you so much @Tom_Newsom
Will you please give me a suggestion, At this moment I’m in south Asia country Pakistan.
Will you please suggest me the best one region of digital ocean server according to my location.

(Tom Newsom) #8

It’s not going to make a great deal of difference, given your distance from all the options. I’d go with San Francisco, just because the USA has lots of redundant connections, and it’s closer than New York.

(Mittineague) #9

Huh? AFAIK Pakistan is closer to New York that it is to San Francisco

Anyway, I agree that it will likely not make a great deal of difference (if any at all)

(Siraj Mahmood) #10

Thank you @Mittineague for your quick response.
Will you please tell me another one thing, discourse plugins are premium or free for everyone?

(cpradio) #11

it varies. the plugin will tell you if it wants you to pay for it (before you have a chance to download it).

(Siraj Mahmood) #12

@cpradio thank you!
Will you please tell me plugin installation procedure is same like other platform like WordPress OR Is there any coding stuff to do to installing plugins in discourse.

(cpradio) #13

do a search in how to for plugin installation.

(TechnoBear) #14

Somebody has already pointed you to the plugin installation guide in another of your topics.