How to Create Static Pages in Discourse?

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #1

How can we create static pages like FAQ, Privacy Policy and TOS? How exactly can we create stand alone pages like these? Would really appreciate help on this so that we could create pages for “Advertise here” and similar.

Static pages plugin
(Jeff Atwood) #2

You should generally create topics to host things like this, then make them wiki, close them, etc.

(jark) #3

and how can we put the static page link to some obvious place ?

Such as the About page , how to add more content like this ?

(Dean Taylor) #4

Specifically for the about page - it’s a bit special, check out this post:

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #5

Hi jeff,

Could you kindly explain it a bit further. Could not get you on this?

Did you mean we need to redirect topic urls in the Header to /faq , /tos , /privacy
because topic urls have this structure /t/faq-guidlines/5, /t/terms-of-services/4, /t/privacy/6

How do you redirect these links, because the FAQ page looks like a stand-alone page with no Like, Link, Faq,or Bookmark menu at bottom.?

I would need help here

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #6

I would like to ensure @codinghorror recommends this method. I also need to remove my email from the contact page but wish to add it in admin settings so that I may receive critical security emails from discourse.

I wonder how come Jeff put emails naked in the about page? Wonder why? I know they are not indexable but this does not ensure that the content in about page can be kept hidden from spam bots also!

(Jeff Atwood) #7

This is not a vector for spam. I post my email on my website and have for a decade – I get no spam in my GMail.

Besides that, the way we’re posting it is JS-only rendering, which is quite effective per this data: techblog.tilllate.com » Nine ways to obfuscate e-mail addresses compared

(There’s a similar historic report archived here.)

It’s also typical for most sites to have an email contact of some sort posted.

Look at your Admin, Site Settings and search for FAQ, TOS, etc to see where the URL overrides are for those.

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #8

Thank you @codinghorror, my doubts are now removed!

However the problem of creating static pages remains. you said

But I know that we can add any url there and share the static page? But I do create a topic and override the Faq URL in Admin settings, the new FAQ link simply loads that category topic without giving it a clean look with no action buttons, footer and Post reply buttons etc. I hope you get me this time. I want to create a clean and neat page with some plain text in it with no Thread-Like look but a look similar to the current FAQ/Contact page

Can you explain it a bit, how do you guys created those tabbed pages for FAQ | TOS | Privacy ?

(Kane York) #9

Well, it’s a bit of a special case in the code. Making those pages configurable and being able to add more is on the wishlist, but it’s not on the top.

(Caue Rego) #10

You could use this plugin, I think: