How to crowdsource verification of files

(Theron Boerner) #1

My website has files that users upload. I don’t want to verify all of them because there will be a lot but I do want to make sure ones that will be featured and promoted don’t have any viruses.

The general idea I have is a category where system can make topics automatically when a file is sent into the approval queue. Then users can do the verification process and when the decide whether or not it’s a good or bad file then can respond with something like approve, deny, or block. Then some sort of algorithm calculating the weight of their vote based off of trust, status, time to respond, etc.

My question is: Where can I find info about how to do something like this and also, does anybody see a flaw in this plan?

(Theron Boerner) #2

@riking I know you did verification with bukkitdev, any ideas how I could accomplish this?

(Kane York) #3

Incorrect: I was never a file verification person on BukkitDev. And they do it with trusted reviewers, one per file.

While this seems possible, it feels weird. I’m not sure you would want all of that cluttering up your forums, and what incentive is there for people to do it?

Also, why not make your own verification pages instead of bolting them onto a forum?

(Theron Boerner) #4

I just assumed because you were in the whole bukkit ecosystem you would have more insight.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

(Mittineague) #6

Shouldn’t you just have more trusted Moderators?
Unless you test for sock puppets, and even then, I think you’re openning your site to a world of potential pain if you allow “regular” member approval of attached files.

(Theron Boerner) #7

I could, but as Jeff mentioned in one of his blog posts that he likes to design systems where the owner could set it up and walk away and the community would manage itself. I’d like to make my systems dependent very little on me because I have school and other things so I can’t do this speedily enough.

Also, a normal users vote will have little to no impact on that file being approved. A basic user gains more voting weight if they make the correct decision before a user like a mod verifies it ( ofc some anti spam checks. If a user is wrong, they get punished, etc )