How to delete Category definition posts?

(Govinda_Sunil) #1

I’m unable to delete those Category definition posts !
How to do it ?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Why do you want to delete them?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

This is not advisable, the category definition is the description and discussion for the category, per the default text that is created in the first post of the category definition:

[Replace this first paragraph with a short description of your new
category. This guidance will appear in the category selection area, so
try to keep it below 200 characters.]

Use this space for a longer description, as well as to establish any
category guidelines or rules.

Some things to consider in any discussion replies below:

• What is this category for? Why should people select this category for their topic?

• How is this different than the other categories we already have?

• Do we need this category?

• Should we merge this with another category, or split it into more categories?

(Pekka Gaiser) #4

They feel like clutter in a team-internal-forum setup where no explanation is needed for the few categories that are there, and everyone is on the same page re what to post where. For a rainbow solution, being able to delete them if not needed might be a good thing in the long run.

I’ll probably get over them though - they probably look annoying mostly because they’re the only posts in the forum so far. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

You can mark them hidden if they bother. Just make them not visible, which means they will only be visible to people with the URL, or staff.

Don’t delete them though.

(Cayce Collins) #6

I’m going to have to agree that having category definitions show up the same as topics is a bit frustrating when you have a team of folks and the majority are administrators or staff (even if it was just me, so how many isn’t really my point here). Clutter is clutter is clutter :smile:

I’d much rather have the definition of the category be handled on the category edit/management side of things. If we wanted to define categories in a topic, we could just create our own topic which is the same thing that is currently automatically generated.

Just my .02c

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Not gonna happen, sorry. A topic is a topic – and a category deserves discussion and definition as a topic. If they bother, then mark them invisible and log into a regular user account.

(Cayce Collins) #8

I’m not extremely concerned about it at this point, as unpinning it at least keeps it at the bottom of the barrel for now.

I agree that a category deserves discussion, which is what the posts are for. I also agree that categories deserve a definition, but I fail to see the logic as to why it must be a topic created by the app automatically. The definition of a category is never discussed, it is guidance to the users of the forum at best (I have yet to see anybody start a topic or discuss the reason why a forum definition is what it is).

I won’t beat a dead horse here too much, and perhaps there just aren’t enough people using discourse yet to sway a decision in my direction yet, but I really don’t see how it would hurt to provide the automatic creation of category definition posts be “optional” at the very least. I understand this is not traditional forum software, but it doesn’t seem right to force a topic in all categories, regardless of what your users may want.

I apologize if this seems rude in any fashion, I am simply voicing my opinion on the subject. I think discourse is hands down the most innovative and “fresh” forum software to date, and am very excited to ride the wave in future developments!

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I don’t understand why marking category definition topics not visible, via the admin wrench, is insufficient for your needs. Can you explain that in greater detail? From where I am sitting it seems like an easy solution that you simply won’t accept, because… uh, reasons.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Additionally, I don’t have any objection to somebody adding a site setting that makes category definition posts hidden by default.

(Cayce Collins) #11

I’ve already explain myself in the first post with extra reasons in the second. Again, not going to attempt to beat a dead horse any longer because the point I’m making differs from your general view of this topic.

It probably won’t bother me once it falls off the bottom of my viewable screen area. I’ll deal with it until then.

Thanks @sam, I might just have one of our team members fix this up and submit it.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

I would object to that, and I would not accept it in core. As a plugin, perhaps.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

@inergy, I’ve come around to your way of thinking on this. It’s been a problem on enough Discourse instances that I see the value now.

I’d like to have category definition topics hidden except on the categories page itself. Perhaps that just means suppressing them from /latest and /categories since those are the most typical home pages. I don’t think they need to be totally invisible by default, just … not on the common home pages.

I thought about limiting category definition by trust level but that seems complex, and we still want even anon users to see the category definition on the category page itself:

@eviltrout any ideas on a suggested implementation? What’s simple here? Don’t want to create a lot of work. Can we just pull them from /latest and /categories?

(Robin Ward) #14

What I’ve done is removed the definition topipcs unless you are filtering to a particular category. I think this is what you wanted and wasn’t too hard:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/659546c4e4fb338951c1761ebaa43f8bea91bbd3

(Robin Ward) #15