How to delete user account?

(Bcguy) #1

Hi - I received this request today on my forums - how do I do it?

==============

Hi, does anyone know how to shut down their account on this website?

If management only can do it, can you do this please?

Please also make sure ALL my content is removed under EU/US Privacy laws.

I cannot seem to find any setting to ‘close account’ which is incorrect on a website that you sign up online.

From the [TOS][1] agreed to upon signup – I don’t know if you edited them for your forum:

If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your discourse.org account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website.

You can delete accounts in the User tab of the AdminCP depending on how long they have been a member/how many posts they have made.

[1]: Terms of Service - Discourse Meta

(Bcguy) #3

Thanks. Does deleting all posts also delete their account - is there a record of their participation somewhere?

You need to delete their posts before you can delete their account. Delete account is at the very bottom right of that image. You may not be able to if they have been around for a while, depending on your site settings.

Totally up to you of course, but if you want to retain the integrity of your community, it doesn’t make sense to delete accounts. We have a policy of NOT deleting accounts. I offer users the choice of having their username changed to something that won’t be associated with them, but their posts remain.

(Kane York) #5

Also note that users with 0 or 1 posts may delete their own accounts on their profile preferences page.