How to do mobile signup?

(Pooja Patel) #1

Is there any features available for sign up process?

I want to use mobile sign up functionality. When first user select country and enter mobile number.

OTP send to user for confirmation. After OTP paste in Pop Up Box. User has completed sign up process.

Or is there any plugin for “verified” user tag in profile page. Like Twitter, Instagram.

Please let me know, if you have any alternative solution or any ideas for sign ups process.

Thanks in advance.

(Bhanu Sharma) #2

This can be achieved through some kind of SSO provider that fills in the rest of information but authenticates users against their mobile number by sending OTP.

Discourse supports SSO from a wide variety of servers. If you can write the SSO IAM server to do the SMS authentication and profile data manipulation part then you may be able to send it in the SSO payload to discourse and authenticate the session.

There is no pre-built solution that I know of and it will be really expensive to implement as well because every time a user wants to register or sign in, they will need to be in cellular coverage to receive OTP and it will cost you as well to send the OTP.

Twilio supports Programmatic SMS if you can write a client for it. SMS, Short Message Service | Text Messaging for Mobile & Web Apps

(Bhanu Sharma) #3

For this, a simpler solution may be to create a group and group’s flair called verified. Add only the people that you have verified in some way and add them to that group, a small flair will show on their Display Picture.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

There are existing topics on this. Discourse requires an email. Sending texts is complex, and generally costs a lot more than sending an email.

(Jeff Atwood) #5