How to edit existing language

faq-material

(أنس) #1

I’m a native Arabic speaker, after looking into the Arabic translation in discourse i believe there are some significant terms that are not yet translated or needs to be amended.

I’m willing to contribute in the translation, i only needs to know where i can find the language file & how to upload it?

Thanks,

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

Please follow this:

(أنس) #3

hi Rafael,

i did as you say, unfortunately the latest translation was the worst where the translation that was posted one year ago was way better & more formal.

i’m not sure of the forum admin can choose which one to use before installation

also i tried to fix some of the translation phrases but it keeps telling me that i’m not allowed to do so.

regards,

(أنس) #4

Gents, @codinghorror @techAPJ @sam

I’ve started translating each phrase I come across, if it’s a good translation I keep it as is & if it needs improvement I immediately.
Amend it

Unfortunately I can’t edit any phrases with two green check marks next to them - I’m not sure why- maybe it was voted for?

in any case, I’m not trying to brag about it, however, I hold a degree in English translation that I can share with you & I’m really interested on using discourse for my next project but defiantly not with this translation.

Any ideas how to edit existing translated phrases?

regards.

(Arpit Jalan) #5

I just made you Reviewer for Arabic translation team. You should be able to edit/translate all phrases now.

(أنس) #6

Dear @techAPJ ,

I’ve made some critical changes & i would like to see how it will be reflected in a live forum

for example: the count of posts, likes notifications catagory registration etc

can you update the language file either here in Meta or Try to take the translation further.

thank you,
Anas

(Arpit Jalan) #7

We usually update translations every Wednesday. I went ahead to update translations just now but noticed this error:

script/pull_translations.rb:90:in `parse_file': uninitialized constant YamlAliasFinder::Psych (NameError)

I will look into this error tomorrow and will update translations.

(Régis Hanol) #8

Fixed it for you :wink:

(أنس) #9

Thanks, much appreciated

(أنس) #10

@techAPJ

Hello, will it be updated today? its Wed

(Arpit Jalan) #11

Latest translations are now deployed here on meta.

(أنس) #12

@techAPJ

thank you Arpit

This showed me some bugs in the translation since the Arabic language direction is from right to left I’ll try to figure something out

on the other hand does the admin have control on the way discourse display the dates, because in many areas the date is translated & displayed in both Arabic & English months the image below will explain more:

which is totally unnecessary

thank you,
Anas

(Jeff Atwood) #15