How to install Discourse on $5 Droplet on DigitalOcean

The default vm.swappiness will push unused pages to disk in favor of read cache, so the kernel developers disagree with that.

Yeah :arrow_up: that. The linux kernel effectively demands swap be available or OOM killer will wreck your :poop: sooner or later.

5 Likes

If for some reason a swap partition wasn’t created, it should be possible to set up a swap file instead.

2 Likes

Digital Ocean now only gives $50 credit to be used in 30 days.
So, it perhaps means that we can’t have $5 droplet run free for 10 months.

Below screen shot has been taken just now:

1 Like

Correct it must be used within one month

1 Like

So then they’re really just giving a $5 credit for a $5/mo. droplet? That would be false advertising. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

They are giving a $50 credit to spend on whatever you like. There is no dishonesty about it. You could get a bigger droplet and then downgrade after the first month.

Check out other souces of DO credits:

3 Likes

In the 30 minute installation guide, I have selected Beginner Docker install guide and I am stuck at the step where it is instructed to Install Docker/Git into the LINUX. It is guiding to install with the following command
wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh
But that is not working my LINUX console, Kindly assist me.

It is not installing anything. Kindly assist me so that I can move on to next step.
Thanks!!

1 Like

In this post you have a vertical bar (|) before the sh, but in your image you have a greater than symbol (>). That’s the problem.

It’s better to use this method to install than the one click installer.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for the correction @pfaffman but in the console “vertical bar (|)” is not showing up, don’t know the reason. I am typing the (|) key along with SHIFT key but it is registering (>) greater then symbol only. Any idea what went wrong?

1 Like

Maybe just copy and paste the command, write it in the correct way in a Notepad or something like that and then just paste it in the console.

5 Likes

@marianord thanks for your valuable suggestion. I tried it already but still it is registering (>) greater then symbol only. Even for (<) smaller symbol, it is registering (>) greater then symbol only.

1 Like

The other thing you should be able to do, is to just download the file (saving it in the server) and then run it as a executable.

2 Likes

Any instructions or tutorial for that please :slight_smile:

1 Like
wget -O d.sh  https://get.docker.com/ 
/bin/sh d.sh
4 Likes

Thanks for the command @pfaffman but I am curious what will it do? I know it must be the other way to install Docker/ Git into the cloud server :smiley: Sorry for my newbie question, are these UBUNTU commands? Advance thanks!!

1 Like

Got the alternate solution, installed Discourse using PuTTY on windows and its working absolutely fine :smiley:

5 Likes

Console says *** System restart required ***, what is the command to reboot the cloud server?

1 Like

If it’s a linux based server.

shutdown -r now

If it’s a ubuntu server asking for updates on login I ignore that
as I destroyed a virtual machine once by doing that.

2 Likes

Its a an Ubuntu 18.04 based server.

1 Like

Did you try

reboot

?

Or you Google “reboot Linux server”

4 Likes