How to let user who register can participate without activation?

if there’s way to let user who just register post without activation?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Not supported, would be a huge spam vector

(Jens Maier) #3

Sure, but this could be extended into a useful feature:

• Newly registered users can log in and create posts (except PMs) immediately.
  • These posts are considered staged: they do not trigger notifications or badges and they’re only visible to the user himself, moderators and admins.
  • Once email activation was performed, staged posts are changed into regular posts, notifications and badges are triggered as if the posts had been created just now.

I imagine this would be a nice bullet point on the feature list… “engaging new user experience, let new members use and participate in your community immediately - no waiting required”. :wink:

(Bill Ayakatubby) #4

The problem being that if they don’t check their email until hours later, they get frustrated that everyone seems to be ignoring them.

(Jens Maier) #5

Just give them a modal popup after submitting their first post and show a subtle warning message message in the composer for the second to nth post. Once that first post has been made, they’re invested and much more likely to check their email and bother with the activation link than if you make them wait before they can even start typing their first post. :wink:

Non-activated user get to posts things?

I don’t mean to be a buzzkill but I have a low interest in this functionality. I get the vibe this requests breaks some fundamental convention in Discourse. Like Sam said spam vector…I also agree with Bill.

(Mittineague) #7

I guess some kind of “pending until you’re activated” might work. But I agree it would be frustrating for a legit user to see something like

Auser - How do I ABC?
Anon - To ABC, do XYZ (hiiden post)
Buser - Doing XYZ is the answer to your problem.
Anon - Hey, I just said that !

And I’m not sure that some type of “Thank you for posting, your reply will become visible once you Activate your account” would be much of a consolation, though it might be nice, especially if the anon made a lengthy complex post that they wouldn’t need to retype.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

This would be a massive pain in the ass for everyone involved.

• unregistered user: Why is everyone ignoring my posts?
  • staff: Why do I have to tediously, manually approve all this content from all these unregistered, anonymous users?
  • existing user: Where did these out of sequence, irrelevant posts I couldn’t see before suddenly come from?

Small barriers are a feature, sometimes.

Now, the explicit requirement to moderator (or community…) approve all new posts by new users, either on a per-category or global basis, that’s a different feature request.

Gah! Lock this post and kill it with fire… :smile:

Everyone here knows that mind-bending requests and tiny one off non-reproducible bugs submissions are only allowed Tuesday through Thursday after 5PM and before 8AM when the Tajikistan and Turkish support team is working.

@altious to your credit …it is a nice simple request (bonus points for articulating it in one sentence)…but I think others would agree that it has too many tentacles.

:thumbsup:

(Jens Maier) #10

Warning popup. See above.

You don’t. When the user activates their account, these posts become visible automatically. But if it’s spam, flag the user as a spammer and their account and everything they posted get flushed immediately.

Aaaand this is an excellent point and a dealbreaker for the whole thing.

Forget I said anything. :smile: