How to manage categories on Home Page

(TheBurningMan) #1

See MPSocial Forum - https://mpsocial.com
I want to manage my forum page like this. Means On the distributing posts under category. Oops, Little hard to explain.
This is my forum which is installed currently - http://forum.buzzbasement.com

What settings should I choose to change homepage.

(Vinoth Kannan) #2

In top_menu SiteSetting re-order categories to first place.

(TheBurningMan) #3

I haven’t found this option :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

(Vinoth Kannan) #4

You can find it in this url yourdomain.com/admin/site_settings/category/all_results?filter=top%20menu

(TheBurningMan) #5

It works thanks. One things missed. How to choose which category should be above means category order.

(Vinoth Kannan) #6

By default it will display depending on recent activity. If you like to set the position search fixed category positions in SiteSettings search bar.

(TheBurningMan) #7

See this, but there is nothing regarding category order.

(Vinoth Kannan) #8

You already checked fixed_category_positions_on_creare setting. So you can set the order number in Category creation / edit dialog. I hope you know where to edit the category.

(TheBurningMan) #9

Yup, I found the option of category order. Thanks for your help.

(TheBurningMan) #10

I tried to change the order but it doesn’t work. Means it is not saving

(Vinoth Kannan) #11

It looks like working. I can see the changes in order.

(TheBurningMan) #12

Nope, I change it. I put latest news on the top and rearranged every category. But when I refresh page, everything goes back to normal again means same order.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13

Did you click “Fix positions” and then “Save order?”

(TheBurningMan) #14

Yup, after clicking on “fix position” all category positions sets to default. And when I changed category positions, Save Order option didn’t work

(Viorela) #15

Hi!

Maybe i don’t understand how “Reorder Categories” should work, but in my case it’s showing the wrong order in All Categories drop-down.

The order I’ve set:

The order in All categories:
Screenshot_207

Did all of the above: Fix positions + Save order. Thanks!

Have you these options checked in your settings?

fixed category positions
If checked, you will be able to arrange categories into a fixed order. If unchecked, categories are listed in order of activity.

fixed category positions on create
If checked, category ordering will be maintained on topic creation dialog (requires fixed_category_positions).

(Vinoth Kannan) #18

Category list in the site.json is cached. So you may have to wait for sometime before it appear in the correct order.

(Viorela) #19

Yes, you are right. After a few refresh pages i was able to see the correct order.

@mikechristopher Thank you, i didn’t know about those settings.