How to merge two messages?

(Loic Dachary) #1

Hi,

I’ve installed 1.6.0.beta7 and I can’t figure out how to merge two messages together, with a user that is either moderator or admin. Where can I find documentation about that ?

Thanks in advance !

(Tobias Eigen) #2

merging messages is not possible now, I think - I’ve looked for this feature myself but I think there’s a can of worms involved because the messages might have different people included and it’s currently not easy (or possible?) to remove people from messages.

Maybe the trick would be to just copy over the text out of one adn then delete it. Or convert them both to a topic, merge them, then convert them both back into messages.

(Loic Dachary) #3

Thanks, I’m glad I did not miss anything :slight_smile:

(Tobias Eigen) #7

Just to clarify for those who follow… those two topics @watchmanmonitor mentions are about merging topics. This topic is about merging messages.

It seems to me the only way to merge messages is to convert them both to topics, merge them as topics, then convert them back to messages.

I just tested this and it works, though it is a bit clunky:

1. for both topics, use the “make public topic” link on the topic admin wrench at the bottom of the topic. quickly move it into a sandbox or hidden category so people don’t see it.
  2. on the topic you don’t want to keep, use the post admin wrench on the right side and “select posts” to select the posts you want to move. Then select the “move to existing topic” and find the other topic to merge with.
  3. on the topic admin wrench at the bottom of the now merged topic, select “make private message”.

Here’s what you end up with - you’d then have to delete the system messages and invite anyone who needs to be included in the merged message.

(Mittineague) #8

Yes, I recently tested this and came to much the same conclusion.
Difference being I don’t consider it a bit clunky, I consider it very clunky.
A lot of debris to clean up afterwards.

My preferred approach is to simply Invite the other user(s) and insert quoted content.

I most certainly would want to not merge messages except maybe extremely rarely if ever.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #9

There’s an PR for that:

(cpradio) #10

I’m not sure that iswhat they want either. I think they want to take two individual messages (what used to be PMs) and merge them together like you can with public Topics.

I imagine that is disabled for many good reasons, but mainly due to not sure how the ending access to users should be. I’m trying to picture how management of said messages is even happening, as I’ve yet to run into a scenario where I would need this on our instance. Not saying it doesn’t exist for other communities, but it seems rare to me or super unique.

However, I do look forward to being able to merge multiple posts from a given user, we still have some who don’t quote understand how to do multiple quotes.