How to move posts into a topic

(dtester) #1

For example someone has made many separate topics, but I want to merge or move them all into one big “thread” or topic how do I do this?

(dtester) #3

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply, they are all already in one category, the thing is there is too many seperate topics on the same “topic” if you get what I mean

I want to move those topics into one big topic

Everything is already in the correct category, but in the “latest” view it is bombarded since people have made many new topics that I want to be only showing up as one topic

(Theron Boerner) #4

Click the gear in the upper right, select all posts. Move to topic. Rinse and repeat.

(Mittineague) #5

Yes, we currently have a topic that has gotten off-topic replies a few times. The off-topic replies were worthy of being in their own topic. What was done.
Either choose the first as a “Reply as New Topic” to start the new topic or start a new topic with a new post about it.
Use the “gear” to select and move the posts to it.

Note moved posts are appended and will not neccessarily be in chronological oreder. AFAIK there is no way te rearrange post order within a topic. So you’ve got to get it right. eg.
If posts 14, 15, 17, 21, 22, 23, and 25 are the ones being moved, and you miss selecting post 17 the first time and later move it, they will appear in the order
14, 15, 21, 22, 23, 25, 17

(dtester) #6

I dont see a gear… where is it supposed to be? I’m admin of site

edit: cant post images, how do I show you guys says new users cant post images``

(dtester) #7

imgur.com/Y2WT91s

please add http:// in front of above… seems to be the only way I can do it, if I just post the link it wont let me post

(dtester) #8

on discourse 1.0 installed by discourse team fwiw

(dtester) #9

selected reply as new post, don’t see a gear

I’m admin of site with full trust level

(Mittineague) #10

Mea Culpa. I should have called it “wrench”

(Joe Seyfried) #11

Is there any way this can be done somehow — this would be highly annoying in huge threads - the logical thing would be to sort threads chronologically, wouldn’t it? Should this be a feature?

(Mittineague) #12

Yes and no. When we were on vBulletin and moved posts to an existing thread there were times when arranging them chronologically resulted in a very confusing discussion flow and some wished they were simply appended.

Now that we’re on Discourse, some wish they were merged chronolgically.

Either way not everyone is going to be happy all of the time.

The only thing that would please everyone is if there was some way to sort them. Which would probably be a lot of work to code up and still have some unhappy with how much effort it would take to resort post oder :wink: