How to protect owner

(Thomas Ralph ) #1

I need some support im the owner of my community and want to lock my rights so no other staff or mods can take those rights from me as I’m the community owner. Is there any way to do this?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Well first option is simply not allowing any admins on your forum you don’t trust.

For people hosted by us, we can always recover any badness with direct console access. Self hosters can also do this by running commands against the container.

(Thomas Ralph ) #3

I’m also new it says discourse is free ? So why do I have to pay?

(Matt Palmer) #4

Discourse is free. Servers cost money.

(Thomas Ralph ) #5

So if I set it up through my own domain do I still pay?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

If you follow the install guide to install yourself, you are in charge of everything: discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Thomas Ralph ) #7

Thanks :slight_smile: would I still have to pay in this instance?

(Matt Palmer) #8

It’s not about the domain, it’s about the hosting infrastructure. If you want to host it on a server you already have and pay for, you can do that for no additional charge. If you want to use someone else’s server (and, in the case of using our hosting, have us take care of all maintenance, updates, backups, etc) then that costs money.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

As stated above, computers generally cost money, so you will need to purchase or rent a computer. The software itself is free.