How to quickly clear new topics?

(Peter Stoinov) #1

I have notification for 3 new topics but I’m not interested in them. And actually I cannot open the one with the > symbols.
How do I get to mark them as not new? Is this done automatically after some time? Should it be if it’s not?

I think it will be best to have some sort of clear button for the sake of the users with OCD (guilty of being such).
Also some option to auto clear (or not) the topics that have been for certain amount of time in the new tab, just like the option for auto subscription, would be great!

(random) #2

That’s being anal retentive. OCD means something else entirely.

(Peter Stoinov) #3

I just feel compulsive urge to clear the new tab and keep it clean. And I’m obsessed by it. I think this is pretty much the definition of OCD.
While Anal retentiveness is just annoying attention to details, mostly to those around you. Which I think is not the case here.

Anyway - it would be helpful to have SOME control over what is being presented as new. Or at the very least some knowledge how it’s being dealt with by the system in the long run.

(Sam Saffron) #4

Yes, we automatically only display new stuff between sessions. If you are inactive for an hour your “session” is terminated, when you return you will only see new stuff that since your last session in the new tab.

That said, at high activity this can easily become overwhelming. However, giving users a “clear all” button is kind of throwing in the towel. I would like us to get smarter about what you consider new. And cut down on the visual barrage when you return to the site.

There are all sorts of things we can do, like allow you to opt in to categories, time frames and so on.

I am not saying a “clear new” button will never be added, we may have to add it as a stop gap or a site setting.

(Peter Stoinov) #5

this could easily be implemented along with another suggestion of mine. If we could filter the list of new topics, we then could easily clear the unwanted by various means.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me :smile:

(Andrew Brown) #6

I think each notification should have an icon to ‘mark as read’ as well as turn off notifications for that thread.

(Sam Saffron) #7

Keep in mind, you can suppress individual topics now like so:

(Andrew Brown) #8

Right, I was just suggesting adding that feature to the dropdown menu as well.

Sometimes I can tell by title that I don’t want to be following a thread that (for whatever reason) I was automatically subscribed to. It’s easiest to just suppress it right there rather on the dropdown rather than visit the actual thread.

(Peter Stoinov) #9

muting a topic only helps with unread notifications. For the New tab, mute should be implemented on a category/tag level.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Keep in mind we only subscribe you to a thread if you read it for longer than a minute (out-of-the-box)

Mine is set to always :smiley:

(Jeff Atwood) #11

This request is satisfied by the Dismiss buttons on new and unread areas.

(Jeff Atwood) #12