How to redirect to external profile on forum profile?

(Ari A Rosenberg) #1

Every time someone clicks on a discourse profile link it should go instead to
http://myexternalsite.com/user/DISCOURE_USERNAME

Is there a simple way to do this?

Changing profile page url to my own website's profiles
(Ari A Rosenberg) #2

bumpity…

do I have to edit source code?

(Simon Cossar) #3

Users can add links to the ‘about’ section of their profile preferences. That link will then appear on their user-card. Maybe that would do what you are trying to accomplish.

(Ari A Rosenberg) #4

sadly no. we need something automated, so when anyone clicks on a discourse user’s profile it goes to a different url external site. this would be a useful discourse feature , wildcard profile external links.
as many people integrate discourse into existing sites.

(cpradio) #5

I think you can do this with a plugin. You will need to override the user card template. And maybe how the user name is written on the post/topic list templates

(Mittineague) #6

And Search. And the Users page. And Badge pages. And likely a few other places as well (i.e. everywhere an avatar or membername is displayed)

Or maybe you could mess with the routing, but I fear that would be even more problematic.

IMHO much easier to simply provide a link to the outside profile in the forum Profile.

(Joe Seyfried) #7

Or, you could try to intercept the /user/(.*)$ URLs in NGiNX and redirect them where you want them… I don’t know how “dangerous” this would be for normal Discourse operation, but might work…

(Sam Saffron) #8

not going to help, you need to intercept ember routing.

Here’s a script @pieterhoogenboom put up for this purpose: Here’s how to change the Discourse profile to your own website’s profile pages

Unfortunately it kills performance.