How to reply in a topic so that every one who has replied before me gets a notification email?

(Mohit Gupta) #1

I want everyone who has replied on a particular topic to get a notification email of my reply on that topic. Is this feature inbuilt or their is some special setting?

(Mittineague) #2

That depends om member’s Preference Settings. eg.

Email digest if haven’t visited
If they are Watching, ,or Tracking or Regular and your post meets the criteria
If they are not Muting

AFAIK there is not a way to force sending of emails to members that have posted in a Topic before you.

And IMHO that’s a good thing.

(Jeff Atwood) #3
  1. Why would you want to do this?

2. The only way to force it to happen is to explicitly quote or @name mention everyone who posted in the topic above your post.

(Mittineague) #4

And though that might send a Notification, it might still not send an email.

My use might be unusual, but I Watch a lot.
I’m also here every day and “We would not be amused” if I got emails even if it wasn’t being abused to email SPAM

And such a feature would be way too inviting to being abused.
Imagine going to a topic that has mega posters and sending them "Buy my Kitchen"
I can hear the uproar already

(Mohit Gupta) #5

I just want anyone who has made a reply on a topic to get the notifications of the further discussion being done on that topic. I also want this because i am going to post something important regarding that topic.
Can it be done if i have the admin rights?
atleast if those who have not muted the topic gets the notification email would also work.

(Mittineague) #6

Well, for myself, if I am interested in something I will see it.

If you are an Admin IMHO a better way to get the word out is to Pin or Banner a topic.

(Sam Saffron) #7

As a normal user this is not going to be supported, everyone thinks what they have to say is important so everyone needs to know about it.

As an admin, we plan to add smarter group notifications that may cover this. We will be very careful though not to introduce anti community features.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #8

Anyone who is tracking or watching the topic, which might have happened because they posted in it, will get a notification of additional posts in the topic. Anyone who is not tracking or watching the topic, even if they’ve posted in it, doesn’t want notifications and shouldn’t get them.

In other words, Discourse will already do the right thing.