How to run Discourse in production?

Hello everyone. It has been 3 days trail and error to setup discourse and i’m fairly good with servers, however I got it working since yesterday but there’s one small issue. I can’t get it to run on production mode.

I used this tutorial to get everything setup but I was unable to run it for some reason with the latest command:

RUBY_GC_MALLOC_LIMIT=90000000 RAILS_ROOT=/home/discourse/discourse RAILS_ENV=production NUM_WEBS=2 bluepill --no-privileged -c ~/.bluepill load /home/discourse/discourse/config/discourse.pill

so I had to deg deeper and I found this tutorial on the main site

Then I tried to run it with this command: bundle exec rails s -b 0.0.0.0 fortunately it worked and I was delighted but it turned to be in development mode. After another search I got my assets precompile and tried this command: bundle exec rails s -e production for the first sight it seems to work but when I access the server ip and port on :3000 it gives an error connection reset.

tl;dr
I’m here to ask for guidance on how to run discourse in production mode. I’m running it on CentOs without docker.

Thanks in advance.

(Martial) #2

Not sure if this tutorial is updated, from 2013… don’t think so.
Discourse official installation only support Docker. Not sure you have other choice

discourse/INSTALL.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

@Chopper Thank you for your reply. As I stated above it’s working great I just to know how to run it on production instead of development.

(Stefano Costa) #4

I’m running it on CentOs without docker.

Don’t.

If you want to run Discourse in production (as in, for running an actual forum), use Docker.

Yeah I have decided to leave it as is for now for test only, and when the time comes I will rent a KVM VPS to install docker because at the moment i’m unable to start docker on my OpenVZ that’s why I installed it without docker. :slight_smile:

(Kane York) #6

Bluepill is a serious world of pain. Just make sure that when you turn it off and switch to Docker-based, that you reboot so it doesn’t leave processes lying around.