How to see and mass update user category watch/track/mute settings by group

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I’d be grateful for advice on a psql query for seeing and mass changing the category watch/track/mute setting for users, preferably by group. So I can see which users are e.g. watching a category, and also mass update their setting for a specific category based on the group they are in.

Thanks in advance!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

@techapj maybe we should have a howto for this?

(Tobias Eigen) #3

Thanks - would be glad to see a howto for automatically setting the category notification settings for everyone in a specific group. Or, better, the ability to set up regular queries to run for group members to mass update them, similar to badges.

I did some poking around using the new data explorer plugin (thank you!! :heart_eyes:) and am getting some insight into who’s watching certain categories.

I think this is the query to see who’s watching a category:

SELECT * FROM category_users WHERE category_id = '16'

I first got the category using this query:

SELECT * FROM categories 

The results show “notification level”. 3 appears to be watching, 2 appears to be tracking, and 0 appears to be muting. I don’t know what 1 would mean.

I have one user with two entries in this list which I find a bit puzzling. Looking through the UI he is watching the category so the 3 is correct. Again, not sure what 1 means.

BTW: I can then look in the users table to see what the user ID is, but it would be handy if that link to “User #64” actually worked - right now it goes to /users/by-id/64 which results in a page not found error. Is that a bug?

(Kane York) #4

Yes, that’s a bug, can’t fix it right now as I’m on vacation. It’ll work if your name the column user_id as user$user (yeah… Will be fixing that too)

(Tobias Eigen) #5

This has come up again and is becoming an urgent issue for my community.

I’d be grateful for any advice on how to mass update user category watch/track/mute settings by group.

(Sam Saffron) #6

You would need to use the API for that.

Make members of a group watch a category by default
(Nick Putman) #7

I would also like to be able to do this - set watch categories and mailing list mode for members of a group at the same time. Where can I find more information on how to do this?