How to speed up the Mobile experience?

(cpradio) #1

Okay, so this may be a special use case, but try loading the following on a mobile device.

It took over a minute and even after that, the whole thing is sketchy on my phone. I see threads like the one above being a staple in our environment, so the big question: “What can we do to solve this loading issue?”

I believe it is related to the code highlighting, but maybe something else is also part of the problem?

(lid) #2

Took around 7 seconds from clicking the link to get the page load and rendered.

On nexus 4
Is it only slow when you are logged in?

(cpradio) #3

I’ll have to try that tomorrow. That’s a thought I didn’t think about.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Also remember Android will be literally 3x slower than iOS on Discourse. Long story, but search for Android.

(cpradio) #5

Well, that part doesn’t bother me so much, as all of the other pages load within 3-4 seconds. But this one (and ones similar – lots of code in them), take forever!

I’ll play with it a bit more, and part of it could be my phone (I didn’t exactly get a top of the line device… never needed one that was “that good”), but nonetheless, I’m just curious if others have seen this behavior – sounds like they have, so I’ll try a few searches too.

(cpradio) #6

Okay, it took mine around 30 seconds, so that is far better than the prior.

(Sol) #7

Just a stupid question: the code highlighting is running on every page visit? If yes why not highlight it when posting and safe that “state”?

Kind regards

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Thanks for posting this @cpradio.

We ran some tests at our meeting in Toronto with all the team phones and got the following on this topic (repeated loads, wifi, as anon):

• Nexus 4 Chrome (Robin): 10 sec
  • Nexus 5 Chrome (Jeff): 8 sec
  • iPhone 5 Safari (borrowed): 4.5 sec
  • iPhone 5s Chrome/Safari (Sam, Regis,Neil): 4 sec
  • iPhone 6 Mobile Safari (Jeff): 3 sec

Have I mentioned I am so glad to be the hell off Android and on this iPhone 6? Death to tiny jewelphones!

(@sam and @zogstrip I am assuming you were, against my better advice, still using Chrome on iOS which has a quarter of the JS performance. I heard iOS 8 allows use of the full speed JS engine but I doubt chrome has been updated to use it.)

(Sam Saffron) #9

Perf on chrome and safari seem pretty close to me, about 4 secs on either on my iPhone 5s here on a non flaky Internet

(Jeff Atwood) #10

I verified the Nexus 5 number is accurate at 8 seconds here a while ago. Maybe the faster device is more affected by wifi variability (or I misremembered). I will change the 5s number to 4 secs.

(cpradio) #11

No idea if that is sarcasm or legitimate, but I’ll take it either way. I’ve yet to read the entire thread on Android, (but it is still on my “to do” list), but I’m glad to hear that the meetup was used for some testing. That was a really good idea.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Anyway, here’s my point: one way to “speed up the mobile experience” is to buy an iPhone – 2x minimum speedup in Discourse, guaranteed, the second you unbox it.

It remains to be seen how much metal views (and HTMLbars, but that’s not ready still) will help Android. Reducing the recursion-fest and all the <script> metamorphs may help Android a lot. We don’t know yet.

(Tyler Gillies) #13

What’s a jewelphone?

(Owe Jessen) #14

Could you elaborate in how far the advice “get iPhone” is going to help improve the general user experience, as Android has and will continue to have a majority of the units sold.

(cpradio) #15

Okay, good, so there was “some sarcasm” :wink:

I’m okay with having a poorer mobile experience as I purposely didn’t buy a top of the line smartphone. That’s my own doing and I’m okay with that.

The purpose of my initial topic was to try and identify if there was something glaringly obvious about the mobile experience and those specific links. If there isn’t, job accomplished. If there is, maybe need to add those to a bug/ux list somewhere. Definitely not expecting anything to come out of this topic, just purely wanted others opinions.

As an FYI. Adding the 8 more worker processes speed up the two links dramatically, so adding more processing has helped.

(Jeff Atwood) #16

No, there was no sarcasm. You just have to know that Android has some serious performance problems that we don’t understand. Maybe they will be resolved in L / 5.0 when they ditch Dalvik finally and go native.

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Speaking of Android perf problems with web, look at these graphs:

Repeated across most web benchmarks – Android is just unusually slow at web stuff. It’s kind of depressing.

(cpradio) #18

No argument there, though I never realized the discrepancy was that big! Thanks for the statistics, that is helpful :smile: And as expected, my phone isn’t even listed because I didn’t get a “top of the line” phone, but I accept that as my own doing.

(Jens Maier) #19

Too bad there’s not a single WP8.1 phone in there… :frowning: