How to structure a multilingual community

Hi Neil, this is awesome! Thanks for taking this project on.

I just tried out the new required tags feature and unfortunately it didn’t work for me.

I created a category and set the required tag.

Image Description: Screenshot showing that a category’s Category Tags setting requires 1 number of tags from the project management tag group.

But I was able to successfully create a topic without any tags. Is this reproducible anywhere?

Image Description: Screenshot of topic titled “Does requiring tag work? test” that was successfully posted without any tags.

1 Like

You’re an admin on the site, so you can do whatever you want. Test with a non-staff account to see what it looks like.

3 Likes

That explains everything and it worked beautifully, especially the tags showing up in the dropdown. THANK YOU.

Is it possible to add a link to the tags page in the error message?

1 Like

I can’t figure out how to stop requiring tags from a tag group. I have no tag group selected and can’t make num tags be zero.

2 Likes

Would unchecking the Also allow other tags remove the required minimum of “1” down below? Seems to me if you allow “other” tags, they would be in addition to at least one set tag (at the bottom).

Removing the tag group should be enough. Does that not work?

No. I can’t make it go away. There’s no tag group, but when creating a topic in the category, I still get:

and users are forced to choose a tag. (And it’s rather embarrassing that this is happening in a category where I’m asking people to say things about how I know how to support Discourse!)

Seems like a :bug: and should probably be in a separate topic. Sorry about that.

3 Likes

Yeah it must be a bug. I will look at it.

@pfaffman I fixed the problem today, so update to latest tests-passed and you should be able to remove the required tag group.

5 Likes

Hmm. I’m on this commit and see your two commits about tags as the most recent two.

I added and removed a required tag group, but there is still one tag required when creating a new topic. And I tried adding and removing some other tags, thinking that maybe it needed to delete something to get things cleared out.

I went into rails and changed minimum_required_tags to 0 by hand and that fixed it.

But then I tried to go back to requiring a tag from a tag group to see if I could then remove the required tag. I chose a tag group and set the required number to 1 (and then 2) but now (at least as admin) I can create a topic with no tags. Looking at the record in rails it seems that minimum_required_tags is not getting set.

This is on the master site of a multisite config with no non-official plugins.

1 Like

Hmmm minimum_required_tags… Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Are you changing this setting (which should be in the Tags tab, but it’s in the Settings tab):

The min_tags_from_required_group value is probably what you should be looking at, but it’s irrelevant if required_tag_group_id is null.

3 Likes