How to Upgrade Discourse from Azure Gallery Install

(Patrick Burrows) #1

I just installed discourse to a new virtual machine from the Azure gallery. It installed version 0.9.8.11. The admin screen tells me that this version is woefully old and that I should upgrade to version 1.3.1.

I agree with the admin screen.

So now what? How do I do it? I’ve asked Google about a hundred different ways, and Google keeps telling me how to upgrade from a different starting point than I am at.

(Patrick Burrows) #2

Incidentally, I tried following the steps here and I get stuck at the part of actually launching discourse. The step:

./launcher bootstrap app

Give me:

Device “docker0” does not exist.
Your Docker installation is not using a supported filesystem if we were to proceed you may have a broken install.
aufs is the recommended filesystem you should be using (zfs/btrfs and overlay may work as well)
You can tell what filesystem you are using by running “docker info” and looking at the driver

If you wish to continue anyway using your existing unsupported filesystem
read the source code of launcher and figure out how to bypass this.

I suppose I could do what the message says and go and edit the source code to bypass the message. But that seems like the beginning of a path full of problems. I figure there must be an easier way.

No support for devicemapper or bitnami installs.

(Mittineague) #4

You’re talking localhost?

Do you have a GitHub account?

You can clone the source repo into your VM and update it from there.
Or you can fork to your own repo and clone that into your VM

From the source takes a bit less CLI gymnastics, but any changes you might make to the Core will be lost on upgrade, if you do that and it matters to you.

(Patrick Burrows) #5

What’s that mean? d .

You don’t have AUFS which is needed for discourse to run on docker. Usually that means you’re running devicemapper.

docker info

should tell you which filesystem you’re using.

The install from microsoft azure is a bitnami image. I have no clue why they would keep that in their list. Someone needs to tell them it’s defunct.

(Patrick Burrows) #7

No. I logged in to the Azure management portal, clicked on New > Compute > Virtual Machine > From Gallery, and then did a search for “discourse” and selected to install that.

I can update from github. Do you know where in the default VM is discourse installed? My linux skills are poor, and just "cd"ing all over the place is not showing me anything obvious for the installation files.

(Patrick Burrows) #8

Ah. Didn’t know it was an old image.

I will just blow it away then and start over.

(Patrick Burrows) #9

Just for the sake of posterity, and so other people can benefit. Creating a new Ubuntu Server VM from within Azure and then following the instructions here works perfectly. Just ssh to your new server and skip down to the part about setting up a Swap and start from there.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Yes definitely, this is the way to go! Thanks for that update.