How to version a plugin?

(cpradio) #1

Are there any examples on versioning plugins? Any good examples of plugins that are currently doing this?

(Sam Saffron) #2

We really have not dealt with that issue yet. Dependencies are super hard.

(cpradio) #3

Well, I’m not necessarily thinking dependencies yet, more so, if someone reports an issue, I have a version they can refer to. Maybe if I just simply put it as a comment in the plugin.rb for now.

That way I know, they are 2 versions behind or current, or whatever.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I would just use the github commit from /admin/update its listed there.

(cpradio) #5

Does that path only exist if installed via docker? As it seems I don’t have access to it on my local dev box. I’m curious what it looks like (a screenshot of a plugin installed) would help me out here.

(Sam Saffron) #6

Strongly recommend you do a local docker install to try it out. Will help you troubleshoot a pile of other stuff as well, only takes 20 mins.

(cpradio) #7

I’ll have to try it later (I don’t have 20 minutes to spare today or tomorrow unfortunately :frowning:). I’ve yet to need to run docker, but I guess I can attempt it…

I thought docker was primarily for Production boxes, not dev ones… but that could be a misunderstanding on my part.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Docker is for production, but then again you are only supporting your plugin in production so there is that :full_moon_with_face:

(cpradio) #9

Yeah, it just means I have to provision a new VM so I can set it up the way I would setup a Production box. Takes time and effort, for what I’ll do little testing on :smile:

I’ll get to it eventually, I guess.