HTML email signature not being stripped out of notification reply

email

(Michael Downey) #1

Had a person reply by HTML email via Yahoo Mail, and their email signature was not stripped out although there was a string of hyphens. The following was posted as the reply:

Thanks, Person! Did I get everything you wanted? <b>--------------------

Poster Name

<b>

</b></b>Poster Title

Poster's Organization

Email: poster.name@example.edu

Mobile: +1 (222) 555-1212

Office: +1 (222) 555-1313

I have the original email headers/source available for anyone who wants to look at this bug more closely.

Return of the missing Yahoo HTML email stripping bug
MOSS Roadmap - Mailing lists
Better email reply parsing :e-mail:
(Lowell Heddings) #2

I’m getting the same thing happening all the time.

The signature / email detection definitely needs work.

In some cases the entire email topic is being added. (edited the post already but you can see the history)

(Sam Saffron) #3

Link us to these issues, there is a debugging “full raw email” thing @techAPJ added so he can have a look.

(Michael Downey) #4

Both of the above posts have links to the offending posts on the other sites. For mine, if someone needs staff access, feel free to PM me.

(Sam Saffron) #5

@techAPJ

Can you have a look at this?

(Arpit Jalan) #6

@downey can you please PM me the raw email source for Yahoo Mail?

[I believe @geek’s bug report has been fixed via: emails from microsoft outlook 14 were not getting parsed as text by techAPJ · Pull Request #2910 · discourse/discourse · GitHub]

Related to this bug, this signature is also not stripped out:
http://forums.sketchup.com/t/line-color-tool-needed/4316/9

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------

Sad that the email format does not semantically distinguish content from other stuff. Does anyone have an idea how this can be stripped out (at least the --- line)?

(Michael Downey) #8

Not sure if this was planned to be resolved with the new parser, but got another one of these just now. Happy to PM the raw email source with anyone who would like it, just let me know.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Provided you are on latest or close to it, sure, send to @techapj.

(Michael Downey) #10

@techAPJ, it’s on the way along with a screenshot (this one was in a private sub-category).

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #12

Question for @techAPJ about emails which aren’t processed properly.

About 1/5 of the incoming emails aren’t handled - I’m sure it’s from a handful of users.

What would I need to include to make it an effective request, and given that I would need to redact potentially useful information to post them here, where can I send the raw information for proper review…

Inviting someone to our forum as an admin is fine with me- if it’s of interest to the Discourse team.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #13

This image shows that we’re getting ---- Original Message ------ in the body that’s posted from an email reply.

Can that be stripped?

(Dean Taylor) #14

There is actually a separate bug for this:

(Michael Downey) #15

This is still a problem for us occasionally. (The email signatures … we’ve not had problems with “Original Message” like others.)

Is anyone available to dig into it?

(Arpit Jalan) #16

Improved via:

Email replies filter signatures?
(Arpit Jalan) #17