Huge avatar loading delay when clicking to see who Liked a post (on iPad)

(Lowell Heddings) #1

I have mostly noticed this on my iPad and haven’t tested elsewhere.

When I click to see who has liked a post, the avatars take at least a few seconds extra to load. (About 5 this last time)

(lid) #2

where did you see this? here?

oh well I don’t have an iPad to test it.

(Lowell Heddings) #3

Yeah, it was on this post. I just tested, and the delay isn’t too bad on my desktop browser, although the load time is definitely noticeable. I’m guessing there’s no way to make it load instantly (or should it), but the delay on the iPad makes the feature not really work very well.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I suspect this is the long polling iOS bug and that this does not happen on android

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Where is this bug documented? I searched on the web and only get iOS 6 hits, almost nobody is using iOS 6 still?

(Sam Saffron) #6

I think it’s leftover from that bug, does this happen in sites like bbs that use a cdn?

(Sam Saffron) #7

I found a bug that will at least fix this for us (since we serve images over a CDN) for some reason those tiny avatars are not coming from the CDN.

(Kane York) #8

No, I had seen this on desktop on slow connections.

I think the CDN issue is probably it.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I definitely see consistently very long load times for expanded likes on iPad. So I can confirm that part of what @geek is saying.

(Sam Saffron) #10

This should fix it for sites using a CDN

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/643d0dfc1329fed48f2e9bd4dec596285258cb69

For sites not using a CDN, this is going to be complicated, I don’t really want to make the install process more complicated to allow for this. (which we would need if the message bus was dedicated a different domain) I will consider a short hangup on the message but to work around on iOS.

(Sam Saffron) #11

OK, meta is deployed with this and I can confirm it fixes the issue, which leaves people without CDNs in a bit of a hole.

I am really worried about hanging up the message bus… not sure what to do.

(Jeff Atwood) #12