Human Readable interface language selection

(Tobias Eigen) #1

So I love that Discourse provides interface language selection. Can someone please help me identify what the available languages are? Is there a good reason why these are not presented in the preferences in human readable form, perhaps in the current locale language?

(Michael Downey) #2

Actually best practice is usually to present the locales in their own individual local languages. One assumes that the reader of the desired language would be able to pick it out of the list, and if someone picked incorrectly, they could quickly go and find their own language, e.g., “English” in the list to revert the change.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I agree this is a good idea, @techapj can you add it to your list?

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Thanks guys! Glad to have this sorted. In the meantime, is there a translation into English for what these fields mean? Is it…

Update: I used that page to create English language translation of the 2-letter abbreviations. Only ones I couldn’t easily understand were the differences between the two Chinese options.

Totally fascinating to try to imagine why some languages have been translated into and not others. No kiswahili? Telugu and not Bengali or Hindi?

Albanian|sq
Arabic|ar
Bosnian|bs_BA
Chinese (CN)|zh_CN
Chinese (TW)|zh_TW
Czech|cs
Danish|da
Dutch|nl
English|en
Finnish|fi
French|fr
German|de
Hebrew|he
Indonesian|id
Italian|it
Japanese|ja
Korean|ko
Norwegian|nb_NO
Persian (Farsi)|fa_IR
Polish|pl_PL
Portuguese (Brazil)|pt_BR
Portuguese|pt
Romanian|ro
Russian|ru
Spanish|es
Swedish|sv
Telugu|te
Turkish|tr_TR
Ukranian|uk

Discourse-Translator++
(Tobias Eigen) #6

(changed to quote myself because the post I replied to got deleted as I was replying - that was interesting!)

I’m assuming this is just because there are some people who speak those languages who got into discourse and one of the first contributions they can make is to localize it. So if the language isn’t represented, it’s because there aren’t communities speaking those languages that need it.

Not to get political, but I imagine there might also be some nationalist folks out there who just dig translating open source software into their languages (eg Bosnian already available, Serbian not yet). I’d love to see discourse available in more African languages but I suppose the same passion isn’t there when Africans tend to get along fine online in colonial/world languages (English, French, Portuguese, Arabic).

(Michael Downey) #7

TW is Traditional Chinese and CN is Simplified Chinese.

(Sam Saffron) #8

The best change here is to do what apple do and display both in English and in the language name in the actual language.

Deutsch (German)
Nederlands (Dutch) 
Etc. 

(Michael Downey) #9

s/English/Default locale of the installation/

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Eh, that implies we carry a copy of every language name in every other language. I don’t support that.

(Mittineague) #11

True enough.
If I don’t know what
Deutsch
Espanol
etc.
are then it’s a good bet they aren’t languages I should be using

(Manthan Mallikarjun) #12

Wouldn’t it be better to show it in the actual language and the current selected language?

(Mittineague) #13

Maybe it would be more convenient to users - But -

In the above post tobiaseigen has listed 29 languages (and that’s just for starters).

This would mean there would need to be up to 841 variations to cover every language in every language.

Care to give it shot?

(Simon Cossar) #14

Maybe the localized names for the languages could be included in the translation files.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

It is just pointless busywork to ask people to translate the name of their language into every other known language on Earth.

"Chinesisch (中文)" Translation done, for legible languages names