I dislike pink like

(Sam Saffron) #1

I am a fan of the way we no longer hide the like glyph after liking, however I find the new color very intrusive

For me, it interferes with reading and actively discourages me from liking stuff.

In the past we had a throbbing pink like button I also disliked. Perhaps I would feel a bit better about this if it was more red I dunno, I think it should just be consistent with the bookmark icon and fill up in blue.

(Dave McClure) #2

The red that was onced used for the bookmark to indicate the ‘last read’ post was a nice color.

(lid) #3

How about something like this?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

And how do you expand that to show who liked it, which is a key part of this feature? By clicking the tiny number target? Good luck doing that on mobile…

You’re scoping this into a different (and duplicated) discussion, which is not desirable. I suggest you search on this particular “show like count on the heart / same line” aspect outside of color.

(lid) #5

I will stop here.

(Theron Boerner) #6

Haven’t liked.

Have liked

The hollow heart shows that it’s missing a like. Maybe the gray on the solid heart could be the same color?

(Theron Boerner) #7

So should we implement that design or is there more debate?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I personally like a red/pink heart. That’s the color of love, and it stands out more as my like. I am fine with a redder heart, if pink is the issue.

People are fairly stingy with likes, I think because it is a public affirmation where your name becomes permanently attached to the post. You don’t generally see a ton of your own likes in a topic, it is rare, which is why it should stand out visually.

In general I’d like to see more complaints outside of meta… I don’t consider meta particularly representative. I like to see things organically come up on 3+ outside Discourse instances before we treat them as in need of serious change.

(Sam Saffron) #9

It appears that you get “the colorblind” experience on mobile, and it super sucks

(Sam Saffron) #10

I personally like that mock, though would prefer the filled up color be the same as bookmark

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #11

What about keeping the redness for on-click, but transition it into grey after 2 seconds?

As for matching the bookmark color, I strongly disagree. A bookmark is something that’s supposed to stand out. I bookmark 1 post for every 10 posts that I Like. A bookmark is a very noticeable thing that should jump out at you as you scroll through an old thread. If likes are coming at you with equal force, you are severely lessening the effectiveness of bookmarks.

(Sam Saffron) #12

Likes is coming at me stronger than bookmark in pink, it really stands out

(Jeff Atwood) #13

That’s a good point, maybe bookmark should be red then.

Light red is, of course, pink.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #14

You mean the Like-text? Yes, it comes at you like a semi-trailer at nightfall and I’ve never been a fan of it.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

You can see that this is all pretty much Opinion Town, USA. I’d just wait to hear back from other real Discourse instances rather than wasting our time any further with nonsense bikeshed “I likes me some purple” feedback. That’s all we’re going to get.

(Sam Saffron) #16

Mobile is egregiously broken, and provides the color blind experience

(Jeff Atwood) #17

I just mean this particular topic seems especially bikeshed prone from everyone, it’s the nature of the beast. We are literally asking for an opinion about a color :laughing:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #18

No doubt it’s a bikeshed discussion, but I think it’s an important one none the less because it’s not just about user preferences, it’s about reducing noise.

The thing about noise is that it’s difficult to pin-point for the average user. It’s not like a hard-to-find reply button, which will inevitably prompt people to ask “where’s the reply button!?”. Instead, it just makes you tired and uncomfortable, wanting to leave without quite knowing how. Therefore your “complaints from 3 different sources” strategy doesn’t work that well where noise is concerned.

(Matches) #19

I find the below extremely offensive to my visual cortex.

Please use something other than the following:

1. Puke green
  2. Spring green
  3. Neon green
  4. Lime green
  5. Any puke ish or lime ish color green

How about a nice sky blue?

(Dave McClure) #20

I’m being swayed toward making the default be the same color as the bookmark when its on. That keeps with the minimal color palette and reduces the ‘noise’ that @erlend_sh speaks of.