I don't like the default smileys

(Iwan Gabovitch) #1

The smiley design :slight_smile: :wink: :frowning: :smiley: :blush: makes heavy use of gradients which makes them unreadable at their size and unpleasant to see. See popular social networks for smileys that work (flat or weak-gradient colors).

Freely, permissively licensed options include:

I will gladly provide the required resolution, although I don’t know how to replace the entire selection of icon options (I don’t know how much there is).

I’m being subjective of course.

(Kris) #2

I think the point of them are generally to be more :sparkling_heart: than :necktie:

Discourse’s smileys are a very commonly used set of emoji that are used all over the place now… they’re a bit of an ubiquity. Even Apple supports these ugly things natively in iOS. There are over 400. :scream_cat:

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I was noticing that Slack supports two sets, the iOS and the Android, which do have different visual styles:

Probably easy to replace this on a per-forum basis if you have access to a compatible (and complete) set of image files.

(Iwan Gabovitch) #4

Oh I think I recognize some horrible ones from Whatsapp!

I’d suggest allowing users to disable them but I’m not sure that’s up to modern UX standards. :expressionless:

(Patrick Klug) #5

I really like that you can disable them in Slack.

(Alexander) #6

I disable them everywhere I can. For some reason, I find them much harder to parse and more distracting than any blob of punctuation.

(Sam Saffron) #7

If you feel like working a new set, see: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/tree/master/plugins/emoji/public/images for the full image set.

perhaps put through a PR for a second image set (create a images2 directory I will take care of the plumbing)

Its will be trivial to allow admins to select the option here globally, and more complicated to allow a per user pref.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

I always loved Google Talk’s plain smileys.

Hope someone makes an open source version of those some time.

The smileys are quite fine, and I enjoy the big variety (although the only special one I ever use is :cake:, because :cake: is good), but one elementary one that I’ve never liked is the standard :) smileyface, :slight_smile: .

That’s an open mouth, closed eyes smile! Essentially this: ^^

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Well, we’re now using the explicitly open source Emoji One set vs. the Apple ones of unknown licensing provenance.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

You can select your Emoji set from Google, Twitter, Emoji One, and Apple in the site settings now.