I need ideas for a migration strategy from dual logins and phpBB to new SSO and Discourse

We are replacing an old website that had a membership system and a phbBB forum (with separate accounts). The new system we are working on now will have a SSO to the website itself. What I would like to do is this:

1. Migrate the old site users to the new site’s auth system
  2. When the user is logged in, give them the opportunity to “attach” their account to an “old” phpBB account. They will need to supply their credentials to the old phpBB account. On success, our system will associate all of their old postings to their new account.
  3. The user, when authenticated into the main website, will be able to go to the forum page and interact with the Discourse forum without needing to login.
  4. The user’s ability to POST to specific categories will be limited based on their membership level with the main website.

Any suggestions on a strategy of how to go about achieving these objectives?

Thank you!

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

Actually this is pretty easy with Discourse.

You just need SSO working and to sync user groups between the site and the forum using the api.

(Kane York) #3

2 - This will help with the password migration:

3. The user, when authenticated into the main website, will be able to go to the forum page and interact with the Discourse forum without needing to login.

That’ll be harder - you’ll need SSO, which is incompatible with any other login method.
A better idea may be to set up OAuth2 from the main website?

4. The user’s ability to post to specific categories will be limited based on their membership level with the main website.

Assign the users into groups in Discourse and set category security using those groups.

Thanks @riking. What does it mean that SSO is incompatible with any other login method? I want Discourse to be fully-integrated into the new website – users will never need to login to Discourse itself because they will be already logged in to the website before they get to Discourse.

I’m trying to digest how SSO works with Discourse, I’ll read up on it some more. Does category security work with SSO?

(Kane York) #5

The builtin SSO, when enabled, is the only login method - so you would need to handle the old accounts migration and the phpBB passwords on the “parent site”. If you think you’re up to doing that, then Discourse SSO is a viable option for you.

Make sense, and I think handling the migration on the parent site will work. Thanks!