I need more help with setting Discourse up on MacOS

So, I want to register Discourse to my FreeNom domain - https://discoursedemo.tk/ - but it doesn’t want to link. (Ports are not available)

WEBSITE NOW HAS TEXT ON IT SO IT WONT ERROR!

I am trying to make it work on my MacBook but again it doesn’t work.

So far it’s just a plain website that has no home page but does work.

It isn’t a cloud server or something (I WANT TO DO THIS FOR FREE).

Here is the tutorial - Beginners Guide to Install Discourse on macOS for Development - #265 by justin but it still gave me a no port open error and that the IP doesn’t point to my public IP.

FreeNom
I also use Cloudflare for DNS stuff.
My Website
THE TUTORIAL

If anyone could sign up to FreeNom (NOT TRYING TO ADVERTISE!) (ITS FREE TOO) and Cloudflare, link your .tk website (from FreeNom) to CloudFlare and then try messing around to get it working for yourself then tell me how to do it then thanks!

Else, you can just try to help the best you can :slight_smile:

I also have an openSSL install error when using bundle install :/ which I have already posted about but couldn't get a fix.

Also, I just updated the website AGAIN so you’ll need to do a cache refresh on the page or click here

Look like you point the domain to a Github Page. And I don’t think it’s a good idea make public a development enviroment, it won’t be support by official team.

3 Likes

Okay! I have made progress but stuck on the last line Checking domain name...

Ok but, I have forums.@ (@ being the root domain (discoursetest.tk)) that points to my public ip but then I get stuck on the above ^

Also Docker doesn’t start and that openssl issue seems important.

1 Like

I wish someone made something that made this process easy…

1 Like

It’s called a VPS :slight_smile:

(And the official install instructions)

4 Likes

Oh yeah, sorry I am like half asleep here, well, how would I do this without paying anything?

I guess paying is my only way? Hey I can pay $5 (~£3) to DigitalOcean. I guess I could do that… I’ll get back in a sec.

Ok I am all done, let me get this setup, thank you everyone so much. Again I’ll be back in a couple minutes.

3 Likes

That’s the easiest way. You’ll also need a mail service (or to live in a world where there is no spam and learn to run a mail server).

2 Likes

I’ll use GMAIL. I don’t want to pay anymore now lol

It’s well documented that using Gmail is a violation of their terms of service and, if you use their paid service, it’s still difficult to configure.

I intend to make a “so you want to host discourse for free” howto. It’ll mostly say that you first need to move to a world where there is free power, electricity, and network connectivity.

4 Likes

sorry for all these deleted posts lol. I am finding solutions xD

Oh no. I am SSHed into it now but I keep getting this!

Please help! It’s not working! NEVERMIND GOT IT TO WORK THX SO MUCH! I LOVE DISCOURSE!!!

1 Like

You might want to provide an update in your other topic too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes