Icons. Icons everywhere

(NomNuggetNom ) #1

Icons are amazing tools. They can convey meaning in seconds. That’s why I think they should be all over the place. Some important places that I think are lacking:

User Drop Down (this thing)

Also, worth mentioning a small idea I had for the Log Out button. I think it could be applied to categories in the Hamburger Drop Down too.

Hamburger Drop Down (this thing)

Top Navigation Bar (this thing)

"Sign In" vs. "Log Out"
(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

It would be more helpful if you could also make mockups with the icons you’d like to see in use for these, pulling from the Font Awesome selection.

(NomNuggetNom ) #3

Yup, sorry, I couldn’t figure out how to :(. Working on it now!

EDIT: Here’s what I’ve got so far.

My only problem with these are the misalignment of the icons. Some icons are wider than others and throw the text off balance. I think this could be fixed, but I don’t know how. Something like this:

I think the mobile view icon should be changed, too.

EDIT: To fix aligntment, fa-fw should be used. Font Awesome Examples

(Rikki Tooley) #5

I look at these mockups and think something is wrong here. To me, a lot of those icons only serve to add visual clutter - I feel in a lot of cases it’s easier for me to identify the item based on the shape of the label word itself than the shape of the tiny glyph next to it.

I think a bigger problem is the amount of links that seem to have been dumped in these two menus. I know the hamburger has become a standard visual metaphor for “everything we couldn’t fit somewhere else” but it’s not a good crutch to have imo.

I guess my main point is that adding more icons to this:

wouldn’t improve readability.

(NomNuggetNom ) #6

I agree that they need to improve that menu, for sure. It’s horrifying. I think maybe a split into a navigation tab and categories tab would be best. Maybe that deserves it’s own topic. But I don’t think that should stop icons from being added.

Also finished the top bar.

(Sam Saffron) #7

I agree completely here, also it feels to me like a problem that does not need solving at the moment.

On the other hand

2 completely different ways of browsing categories 400px apart on every list page is definitely a problem that needs solving.