If edited by Admin - I dont want people to see the changes

is there an option that if an admin was the person to edit the post that the changes are not visible to non admins?

it kinda defeats the purpose if people can see what you edited out.

(LT) #2

Search for edit history visible to public in Site settings, and uncheck it.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Edits are always visible to the author though so what you want is not possible.

Yeah author seeing it is fine just not everyone else thanks

(Christoph) #5

But that would disable it for edits by all users, right?

(cpradio) #6

Yup, you can always go into the edit history and hide your revision (that will make it only visible to staff).

(Andrew Waugh) #7

We just changed our site to hide edits as a result of this topic.

Our logic was that if a user posts something inadvisable (like a personal detail, or even a flame) and changes their mind, then in this case, keeping the edits public makes the facility to edit pretty much meaningless.

Our users are generally quite mild mannered, but every now and then someone posts something worthy of a “Wall of shame” badge. With edit history disabled they have to work a bit harder for the badge now.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Edits within the first 5 minutes of originally posting do not create a revision.

(Michel) #9

OK, I am puzzled. As a member in another discourse forum, I can’t see the admin edits that admins do to my own posts (in the edit history) once they are done.

Now I am really troubled. In the forum when I am an admin, if I make an admin edit, then hide the revision in the edit history, it shows as “hidden” to me – but if I ask my son, who is a level3, to look at the post, he can still see the revision when he looks at the edit history (although the number of edits shows as one less to him). The author also sees it btw – but, based on @codinghorror’s comment this may be normal.

So I don’t seem to be able to really hide an admin edit.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this a present version bug possibly?

(Jeff Atwood) #10

@techapj can you verify this is working as expected? Also verify what happens when edit history is disabled. Note that the author of the post can always see edits no matter what.

(Michel) #11

I had the wrong mental model. You need to hide all the older versions too, not just your change. Sorry, @codinghorror, @techapj, user error :frowning: Hiding older versions works, there is no problem.

(Michel) #12

@codinghorror, after doing reasonably thorough checking I think you are in error: the author of a post does not see the edit history for the revisions that were hidden by an admin.

I tried it both with a level3 and a level4 user. Neither of them can see the edit history revs when I hide the revs.

Here is the screen that the level3 user can see before I hide the original rev in the edit history:

But, after I hide the original rev (rev1), this is how the author of the post sees the post:

You can see that there is no edit history icon.

If we have 3 different revs, and I hide rev2, the author will only see rev1 and rev3:

So I think the conclusion is that, in the present version, the post author does not see a rev that has been hidden by an admin.

(Arpit Jalan) #13

This is not happening currently. Here is a PR to make it so:

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Sorry this was a misunderstanding I was referring to the other site setting. That pr can be closed.

(Arpit Jalan) #15

Apologies about that.

I just verified that if edit history visible to public setting is enabled, then edit history is visible to staff members as well as post author (unless the revision is hidden). So we’re good here.

(Jeff Atwood) #16

Ok cool sorry for misunderstanding, I should have been more clear.