Image thumnails shows default image

(Kokmok) #1

Hello,
I’m not sure if it’s a bug but for several days we have issues with post’s integrated images.
If the image is heavy (we haven’t find the limit for now) after a while discourse replace it with a default thumbnail.
I didn’t find any error in the discourse’s logs nor in the nginx logs. Can be this issue config related ?

(Felix Freiberger) #2

This seems to be related to this new feature:

Maybe @vinothkannans can help you here?

(Vinoth Kannan) #3

Yes, it’s above new feature.

You can control maximum image size allowed in SiteSetting max image size kb

(Kokmok) #4

Thank’s for your quick response, but I’m not sure i really understands here. Does this mean when a user links an image heavier than this parameter Discourse will preview a default image ?

(Vinoth Kannan) #5

Exactly. You can prevent this by below settings

1. Disable download remote images to local setting then external images will not be downloaded locally. So it won’t be a matter weather it is larger or not.
  2. You can set image size limit to maximum in setting max image size kb (3MB by default). So it won’t replace your desired images if it less than the limit.

(Kokmok) #6

This is not what we wanted to hear. :slight_smile: If 'im not wrong, before discourse downloaded locally all files under the limit. The others files remained distant and for lambda user there were no difference. Now if the image is too large it’s replaced by a default image. If this description is right, what’s the betterment of the changes ?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

This means users are no longer subjected to direct links of giant images that will consume all their bandwidth.

(Felix Freiberger) #8

Also, it makes sure that images embedded over HTTP don’t cause browsers to suppress the :lock: icon :+1: