Image upload fails silently

(Luke S) #1

Been trying to upload a couple of mock-up images in this conversation, over a slow connection. Uploads fail at about 50% the ‘loading progress’ text down at the bottom disappears, no error message or indication of what went wrong.

Possibly a connection timeout, though the files are fairly small ~150k png.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Can you be specific about how slow you mean? 150kb is quite small. Are we talking 56.6kbps modem speeds, so 4kb per second upload or such?

(Luke S) #3

That’s about right, though the best speed reading I ever get is ~40kbps listed connection speed, and I think even that is a little optimistic. Varies depending on the day, and what the whether has been like recently. I suspect that uploads are even slower…

(Alem J) #4

Hello there, i’m having this exact problem in my installation. How can i work around this issue? It’s there any timeout parameter or something like that?

(Régis Hanol) #5

What web server (NGINX, Apache) and application server (thin, puma, unicorn) are you using?

(Régis Hanol) #6

@Sailsman63 I think this is now fixed. Would you mind updating to latest and testing again?

(Luke S) #7

I never had an installation of Discourse. I noticed this issue when trying to interact as user here on Meta. I’ll try to post an image on this thread, just to see the results.

(Luke S) #8

Here is one of the images that I had trouble with on the other thread:

(Luke S) #9

…And, to my great surprise it actually loaded! This image is rather larger than the ones that were stalling out on me before, so a vast improvement. The only question I have left is what would have happened if the upload had timed out? Would I have gotten a useful error message?

(Jeff Atwood) #10