Impersonating user and then returning to admin

(Jeffrey C Witt) #1

Quick question,
If I impersonate a user as admin, I can’t see to return to admin without logging out and then re-logging in as admin. Is there no way to jump back to admin view after impersonating, or am I missing something obvious.

Impersonating a user
(Michael Downey) #2

I haven’t found any way to do this either, so it’s not just you. :slight_smile:

(Dave McClure) #3

See also:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/stuck-in-impersonation/12202?source_topic_id=19382

(Jens Maier) #4

Could this and Admin link under user avatar is confusing be related?

(Zane Beckman) #5

It looks related, yes.

However, there is no such ‘stop impersonating’ link that I can find. I was able to search out my profile and choose to impersonate myself after impersonating another admin. :laughing: That wouldn’t be possible if the person I was impersonating wasn’t also an admin, though.

(Sam Saffron) #6

(Zane Beckman) #7

Well yeah. But then I have to log in again as myself, which is really tiring, and I’m lazy.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Impersonating is not a “oh I just feel like impersonating bob” think, its a

OH MY GOD, emergency, I have no choice but to impersonate bob and figure out what is going on.

Forcing extra friction here is heavily desirable.

(Kane York) #9

Maybe we should change it to a .btn-danger?

(Zane Beckman) #10

Point well taken.
That convinced me.

(Justin Pierce) #11

You might want friction there, but it’s still poor UX. I was worried logging out would log that user out, which sent me here searching to make sure I wasn’t missing a more correct way to end impersonation. So maybe change the logout button to reflect the functionality (add a small note below or something).

And as a side note, I was using impersonation to check permissions (see how the categories looked to other users) – that’s not an emergency. Is there a better way to check permissions like that?

(Kane York) #12

I’ve seen the approach of creating unprivileged accounts to check permissions. The “trust level lock” is useful for that.

(John Oeffinger) #13

That’s the approach I have been taking. Created several alts with different trust levels or private groups. The added side benefit to this approach is I can see what the digest look like as well.

(Gzoritchak) #14

The problem of the current version is that to logout you have to click on the avatar: it removes the notifications label on the avatar. It has an impact on the user your impersonate.

Furthermore, the logout link is not present if you have to much notifications.

(Kane York) #15

You have a workaround for this in visiting the profile page and using the logout button there.

For which the link is under the avatar, isn’t it?