Import Subreddit to Discourse

I am trying to migrate one of the Subreddit that I created for a community to a self-hosted Discourse-based forum. I am doing this because some of the people joining there are not that tech-savvy and they didn’t like Reddit that much. I think Discourse will provide a better UX for them. As of now, I am planning to migrate the comments in a flat format and they will not be nested as it is in Reddit. So the structure will be one Post and all the other comments are put as individual comments without the tree structure. I searched for an import plugin, but I am not able to find one for this purspoe. If someone know any such plugin, it will be helpful if you can comment it here. Also I would like to know whether there is any ratelimitting for Reddit API that blocks importing the number of posts at one stretch

7 Likes

You’ll need to write your own import script. You can use others in scripts/import_scripts as examples.

I doubt anyone here knows about reddit rate limits or knows if scraping reddit to duplicate it elsewhere is a violation of their terms of service.

3 Likes

Thanks Jay.

I will definitely check the scripts folder and if I succeed in writing my own script, will post it here.

4 Likes

You may also find this post useful: How to migrate from one platform / forum to Discourse - migration - Discourse Meta

This would be highly appreciated :pray:t5:

4 Likes

Actually I am trying to run Discourse on my local mac, but seems like I need to configure SMTP here. For the domain issue, I added a domain to the local /etc/hosts file. Now not sure how to configure email. It is showing the following error message

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: /usr/local/bin/ruby -e 'if ENV["DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS"] == "smtp.example.com"; puts "Aborting! Mail is not configured!"; exit 1; end' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 182 exit 1>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params "/usr/local/bin/ruby -e 'if ENV[\"DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS\"] == \"smtp.example.com\"; puts \"Aborting! Mail is not configured!\"; exit 1; end'"
8397936c2fbc778f6e1cdb7acc4a0750e259e4581e5199bc457efcb61027c403
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.
1 Like

Why aren’t you using the cloud? Setting up Discourse import / migration environment on DigitalOcean droplet

1 Like

But, I am trying to create a script to import from a subreddit and I need to run it locally if possible. Another thing is I need to pay money for the domain.

1 Like

If you don’t have a domain name then you’ll need to run a local development instance. Search “your-os development”

2 Likes