Inactive users are sometimes reported as "seen"

(Admir Hodzic) #1

A lot of users visiting discourse from many devices and from many places. Sometime they just forgot to close his browsers and to exit from explorers.In that case sometime it making them problem because they do not get e mail notifications for posts because system think that they are on line. I do not know does, or should we try to kick off inactive users outside from discourse.
So system can send notifications to “inactive” users even if they left open discourse site on some of devices.
Does discourse have time out for users ?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

The user preference you’re looking for is, “Receive email notifications and email digests even if you are active on the forum.” Checking the box will cause Discourse to send emails even if the user is still online.

Option to always receive digests even when you've been on the forum
Option to always receive digests even when you've been on the forum
(Jeff Atwood) #3

This would only be an issue on desktop, and even then, only if the browser has focus. I will have to confirm with @sam but that is my understanding.

(Sam Saffron) #4

Well, actually now that I reviewed the code there is a bug here that has been lurking for many years.

We mark a user as “seen” if we get a request from the browser and it is not from message_bus, trouble is that under all sorts of circumstances message_bus can cause other ajax requests to trigger.

So the additional requests message bus triggers can cause the user to “appear” online, even though they are not.

Will look into adding an extra header to denote that the client “knows” that the user is not there using visibility API. Then we can check for that on the server.

This kind of explains why I am often “last seen” at 2am in the morning when I was clearly not around.

(Sam Saffron) #5

OK this is now fixed per

(Sam Saffron) #6