Inconsistencies on "User Fields" admin interface

(Gerhard Schlager) #1

There are a few inconsistencies on the admin interface for “User Fields”:

• The help text says “Any fields added here will be required from users when they sign up.” which seems to be right. Every field is shown as required on the sign-up form. However, there’s also a checkbox “Required at signup?”. I couldn’t figure out what it is doing. Seems kinda unfinished to me… (repro steps below)
  • The red Cancel button doesn’t fit into the usual color scheme for buttons. I was under the impression that this danger color should only be used when something dangerous could happen. Canceling the creation of a user field doesn’t seem that dangerous to me.

BTW: There’s lots of free space that isn’t used for the buttons. When the German translation is used it looks like this (buttons are shown on top of each other):

(cpradio) #2

Since I don’t see any repro steps for a broken interaction, I’m moving this to UX, as everything above describes UX, not a bug…

(Gerhard Schlager) #3

Well, the repro steps would be:

• Create a User Field and don’t select the “Required at signup?” checkbox.

Expected result: The user field should not be required.
Actual result: The user field is required.

Of course, the other things are “only” ux nitpicks. :wink:

(cpradio) #4

Is that one, the same as this issue which seems to be fixed in latest?

(Gerhard Schlager) #5

No, that’s not the same. I’m using master, so this is not fixed yet.
Thanks for your help @cpradio, but I usually check all those things before reporting a bug. :wink:

(Robin Ward) #6

I just checked master myself and this is working fine.

The fields are showing on signup, but the user does not need to complete them to sign up. Did you refresh your browser after changing them?

(Gerhard Schlager) #7

Please try again. I’m still seeing this bug.
I’ve tested this with current master (27ebaae4e40de08cbdba5f4e0bd94b33f42a4a9e) and even recreated the database…

This is how I configured the user fields:

This is how the sign-up form looks like:

As you can see “Phone Number” is marked as required and I actually can’t click “Create New Account” unless I enter something into the textbox.

Since I didn’t select the “Required at signup?” checkbox for the “Phone Number” field, I didn’t expect this to be a required field at signup.

The problem is, I’m not sure how this should actually work. The description on that admin page says: “Any fields added here will be required from users when they sign up.” And that’s what I’m seeing on the signup form. But there’s also that checkbox “Required at signup?”…

So, either change the description and use the required flag on the signup form or remove that checkbox from the admin interface.

(Robin Ward) #8

Looks like you found a different bug. If you saved a field as not required it was actually saving it as required and the UI didn’t reflect this properly until you refreshed your browser.

I fixed it, also changed the text to indicate that not everything is required.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.