Incorrect icon showing for links to topic in the forum

(Blu McCormick) #1

Hello. I want to share this topic on social media which is posted to my forum WE THE PEOPLE journal:

However, it is not showing the correct icon in the link. It should be showing the bullhorn icon:

WTP_LOGO_03_SM_2

Instead, it is showing the icon for the first linked article within the topic itself ( a Daily Camera news article):

38%20PM

Here, you can see at the top of the topic, the first linked article is a Daily Camera article, and somehow the Daily Camera icon is what is being pulled to add to the shared link:

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

It will pick the largest image that is first in the post. So make sure the image you want is large and placed first in the post.

(Blu McCormick) #3

Thanks, Jeff. I didn’t know that (obviously, lol).

Ok, so, if I want all links to use the bullhorn icon by default, can I make that so in the settings?

If not, no problem. In this instance, I will just add a large image of the mobile home park to the very top of the article.

P.S. I added a large photo and it changed the link image to that, as you would expect, Jeff. Thanks.

44%20PM

(Jeff Atwood) #4

You could argue that we should not pick from images that are oneboxed in the post as they are not ‘native’ to the post, but I think that might be a correct behavior in many circumstances.

(Blu McCormick) #5

Nah, no argument here. Just learning how it works. I have no clue how other forums would want their shared links to work in terms of what image appears in the one box. In some ways, unique images for each one-boxed link might be more of a draw then the forum logo. I’ll just be sure to have an image at the top.

One other question: if there is no image in the body of the topic, does the one-boxed link default to the forum logo, Jeff?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

That is correct, yes, if there are no images. Emoji are blacklisted so they can’t show up as images for the post, though technically they are. That’s why I think we could possibly blacklist oneboxed images as well, but I’m not totally convinced that would be a desirable behavior.

(Blu McCormick) #7

Me neither, being new to this.

So, I just found out that adding the mobile home JPEG changed the image on the one-boxed link to the JPEG when I went to text the link, but it didn’t change when I went to share the topic in Facebook. I cleared the cache to see if that would fix the problem but it didn’t. I still get the “dc” Daily Camera logo.

Any other suggestions? Maybe I just redo the topic afresh. But then again, when I post the link in here the image is correct:

So maybe it’s just showing the old image on my computer. I will hold off on sharing this topic in Facebook until I know that I am not inadvertently using the Daily Camera’s logo in my shared, one-boxed link to the topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

It is likely cached heavily on facebook’s side. If you want a guarantee that the cache will be broken, change the URL.

(Blu McCormick) #9

Yeah, you’re right. It seems like I just needed to wait a little while.

51%20PM