Incorrect message on signup

(James Milligan) #1

Torn between putting this down as a bug or feature - choosing the former because it is technically incorrect.

When registering on a forum that requires admin approval, the message when you sign up on the website says:

"You’re almost done! We sent an activation mail to [email]. Please follow the instructions in the email to activate your account.

If it doesn’t arrive, check your spam folder, or try to log in again to send another activation mail."

If approval is required, that email is not sent until an admin approves the account manually. This has caused confusion for some of my users because they think their registration was either not successful, or the email went into their spam folder (or just never arrived). I suggest the message is changed in this case to something clearer, e.g.:

“You’re almost done! Your account is awaiting approval from a member of staff. Once they’ve approved your account you’ll be sent further instructions by email.”

(or words to that effect - or even the ability to customise this).

"must approve users" prevents activation emails from being sent until user is approved
(Jeff Atwood) #2

I agree this is a bug, can you add it to your list @techapj?

(James Milligan) #3

A somewhat-related question - I think users should be able to verify their email address whilst awaiting approval. Otherwise, I have no idea what their email address is and can’t contact them for further info if needed.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Eh, maybe. It might also give them the idea that they will be approved before the moderator / admin has vetted their account.

(Ryan Bolger) #5

That seems easy enough to address with clarification in the registration confirmation message. For example:

You’re almost done! We sent an activation mail to blah@example.com. Please follow the instructions in the email to activate your account. You’ll also need to wait for moderator approval on your account before you can access the site.

(James Milligan) #6

Almost, I think something a bit more like:

You’re almost done! We sent an email to blah@example.com so you can verify your account. After this you’ll need to wait for approval by a member of staff before you can access the site.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Still not really a fan. That’s like getting in a kissing session with {person of physical qualities that you are attracted to} and then being told “oops, wrong person”.

It just sends the wrong message to validate the email early.

(James Milligan) #8

In that case then, could you make it so that the email is visible in the admin CP (without it being verified)?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I believe @zogstrip already marked that bug as closed and fixed?

(Régis Hanol) #10

That bug was fixed in

(Robin Ward) #14

Thanks for reporting it, I’ve got a fix ready in master:

(James Milligan) #15

Cheers @eviltrout

And yep @codinghorror, looks like it’s been fixed.

(Jeff Atwood) #16