Incorrect Unread count- anybody else has this issue?

A couple of members on the forum reported this- ’ a number of posts next to the Unread button, but most of the time when I click it there are no unread posts. Other times, it will say, for example 2 Unread, but when I push the button five or six will show up.

Just now, the Unread link on the main page listed two topics. When I clicked, there were about seven links. Of those links, most of them claimed I had unread posts going back a long time, when I have in fact read them. I have a tracking-cookie blocker in place, and I wonder if that’s the problem.’

Anybody else encounter this? The user also encountered a similar problem on another Discourse forum. I wonder if its the tracking cookie blocker that was mentioned that’s the problem.

thanks.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #2

Yes, it’s been a known problem for a long time, and there are other threads in which it has been discussed.

Thank you- I will let the members know that its a known problem.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Really? I am not aware of any issue unless whispers are being used…

(Kevin P. Fleming) #5

I’ve given up paying attention to the counts, other than as indicators that something has changed. They are frequently wrong and the last time I read topics about that (granted, that was a long time ago) it hadn’t been resolved. The problem is also incredibly hard to reproduce, of course, because we have no idea what happened to the forum while the browser tab was open, so as a fellow programmer I don’t want to whine about something that might be impossible to troubleshoot :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Well it works for me I every Discourse I have visited in recent memory, except for the whisper bug, which is hard to fix…

(Kevin P. Fleming) #7

Well that’s good to know. Unfortunately the only way I ever know there’s a problem is when I click on an item in the header and then find that the number of topics displayed does not match the number which was previously indicated, but it seems pointless to report that because any useful evidence has already been lost.

(Sam Saffron) #8

I see this happening sometimes, unread shows 2 you click on it and it is nothing, I will get it sorted it’s just very hard to debug cause I have no repro

(Danny) #9

Hi,

Old post I know so apologies but I was directed here, anyway a few of us are having this issue.

Thanks

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Looks like there are new regressions here as this is being reported a lot at the moment.

(Mariusz Kozakowski) #11

Few users noticed same issue on our discourse instance. Running latest version: v1.9.0.beta5

(Régis Hanol) #12

My bad. I ref*cktored it last week… Here’s the fix (with tests)

Will be deployed today to all our customers.