Installed Discourse in 30 minutes with no prior knowledge

The instructions are really easy and installation is fast.
I installed it on Google Computer Engine and I guess it took only about 15 minutes or so from start to end.

Thumbs up to the team.

Note:
I initially used Bitnami Discourse image which was running discourse v1.8.10. There was no easy one click upgrade available with Bitnami image.

So, it prompted me to try the official Docker Discourse install.
The newest install seems faster than bitnami image install. Not sure if this is due to the most recent version or Bitnami’s install has some other baggage attached to it.

Issues found while moving from Bitnami image to official Discourse Docker:

1. Bitnami image uses postgresql version 9.6.5 at this time but Discourse docker is still on 9.5.
  2. While moving with Discourse’s back up restore utility, I got this error from postgresql:

ERROR: unrecognized configuration parameter “idle_in_transaction_session_timeout”

The solution is to modify the sql file that is created by Discourse back up (from postgresql 9.6.5 bitnami image) and comment the line using this variable. This variable was introduced in postgresql 9.6.

I have documented the Move bitnami discourse install to official Discourse docker install, if anybody is looking for it.

7 Likes