Installing Discourse on Apache/Centos 7

(Roland) #1

New to this. I currently have a vps on a 4core running apache/centos thru cpanel.

I have multiple sites thru there and one site has my vbulletin forum. On the same site I have wordpress. Traffic is at 600k a month to site but activity is low.

What i would like to do is create it on a subforum until I can get it where I like it, import the vbulletin and switch at a later date. Is this possible or what would be the best recommended way? I dont want my main site going down and trying to find the easiest way to do this.

I do need a native app and currently tapatalk for my users so that will remain a reason not to fully switch unless thats supported.

(Régis Hanol) #2

Discourse requires docker which cpanel doesn’t provide.

There won’t be a native app for Discourse other than the one @sam built.

(Roland) #3

Thanks, I just got a digitial ocean account to get it going properly. I really love the format of this over vbulletin. I’ll make do with what I can on here. Also if I hire out any work from other services to create things that this doesnt have is there an option or what would be needed to release code here for others to use?

(Régis Hanol) #4

If you are adding features to Discourse, I would suggest building a plugin and publishing it to GitHub if you want to share it with others.

(Roland) #5

Ok cool. Yeah there will be a few things I need done that I have on my vb site. Sorry for so many questions but I just went to create a droplet on digitalocean and if I go by the install on distribution it says $10 plan would work but if I choose one click apps it gives an option for “discourse on 14.04” and says $20 plan that $10 plan isnt large enough. Would it be easier to do the one click app at $20 or is there something else to be aware of?

(Régis Hanol) #6

DigitalOcean decided to only offer their one-click install starting with their $20 droplet. But if your forum is new and doesn’t have much traffic, then the $10 droplet is fine.

(Roland) #7

oh ok. thanks for clarifying that. its not new but not too busy anymore. used to be tho. Im hoping it does again lol :slight_smile:

(James Mc Mahon) #9

Discourse will run a community on on 1GB of RAM pretty well all things considered. Where you will feel the pinch is at update/rebuild time. I think there is a recommendation of 1GB swap if using 1GB RAM.