Insufficient feedback when email reply is rejected with "try to be a little more descriptive"

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

A user tried to post a reply by email:

MUST KEEP TRACK OF WHICH DRIVE GOES IN WHICH SLOT!

Which is really true, and all he wanted to add.

His email was rejected, nor could I post it on his behalf without adding in some kind of non-upper case text. I just added the @username of the person he was talking to… but it’d be nice if I didn’t need to step in.

Can we allow all upper case posts?

Moderate emails which would normally bounce?
(Mittineague) #2

Would not italicizing or even bolding have been enough to stress the importance without the need to YELL?

Though granted, some sort of “your text won’t email” warning would be nice.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

In this case his email was denied, and this:

Body is invalid; try to be a little more descriptive
If you can correct the problem, please try again.

was all the notice he received, causing him to reach out to the list moderator (me), who had to troubleshoot this, and repost for him & figure out what the issue was. Because I didn’t have a copy of his failed email, I had to wait for him to send me the original.

If the post had been held for moderation instead of bounced, that’d have made it all much easier… now that moderation is a thing, maybe we can get that result, instead of bouncing emails?

Moderate emails which would normally bounce?
(Tom Newsom) #4

Or translate otherwise unformatted SHOUTY TEXT to Sentance case?

A plea to allow all caps topics and subject bodies
(Scott Trager) #5

The real issue here (imho) isn’t that the system prevented an all-caps response - that is discourse working as designed. The issue here is that the email is itself not descriptive enough.

This should say something to the effect of:

We’re sorry but the response you emailed was unable to be posted. <Forum Name> does not allow posts that are in all capital letters. Please re-submit your posting in a format that complies with our TOS (link). If you feel this posting was rejected in error please let a moderator know at <moderator email>.

Related:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/minimum-post-length/30336/2?source_topic_id=30324 https://meta.discourse.org/t/minimum-post-length/30336/3?source_topic_id=30324

I think those errors need better warning dialogs. At least to troubleshoot if no other reason.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #7

yes, me and @brett_zink will be glad for that.

Discourse Meta

Still, we need some kind of way to allow it

(Mittineague) #8

Plugin?

plugin.rb
register_asset "javascripts/allow-all-caps-dialect.js.es6", :server_side

allow-all-caps-dialect.js.es6

(function() {
Discourse.Dialect.inlineBetween({
  start: '[all-caps]',
  stop: '[/all-caps]',
  rawContents: true,

emitter: function(text) {
	return ['span', {"class": "all-caps"}, text];
  }
});
Discourse.Markdown.whiteListTag("span", "class", /all-caps/);
}).call(this);

Raw post

Usage  
`[all-caps] text here [/all-caps]`  

[all-caps]LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET, CONSECTETUR ADIPISICING ELIT, LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET, CONSECTETUR ADIPISICING ELIT, LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET, CONSECTETUR ADIPISICING ELIT, LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET, CONSECTETUR ADIPISICING ELIT, [/all-caps]

* Proof of Concept only
assumes some prior basic plugin knowledge
Dialect should have regex to filter text before outputting it if you don’t want it abused.

(Shou) #9

There’s also a specific emotional impact that can only be achieved through IDIOT ALL-CAPS TEXT, so I’m really hoping you’ll reconsider its absolute ban. I can bypass it myself but I want my forum’s userbase to be able to do it effortlessly considering they’re not capable of CONJURING THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH THEIR SPELLS, e.g. inserting nbsp. I’ll give the plugin above a shot and see if I can just blanket apply it to whole posts and titles. Thanks Mittin.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #10

let us know how it goes… but I doubt it’ll prevent the email from being rejected …

I’m sorry to pull back up a semi-old topic, but has anyone managed to get the plugin to work out for them?

My little community recently swapped over from phpBB to Discourse because we were attracted to how mobile friendly it is and all of it’s great features. However, we’re also a goofy casual crowd with some users who sometimes enjoy typing in “IDIOT ALL-CAPS TEXT” to show enthusiasm and excitement. Having the forums actively prevent them from typing how they normally would was a little off-putting. It made folks feel like they couldn’t post as they naturally would within our group. It felt a little overly controlling or restrictive to not, at the very least, give admins the option to enable or disable Caps-check.

(Florian Bender) #12

@eviltrout Would you mind looking into this and see how much work that would be? Thanks a lot!

(Robin Ward) #13

There’s no way our error dialog could fit that much information. It should not be too much work to add a custom message for caps though, as long as we keep it short.

(Florian Bender) #14

How about – as a first step – have a message specific to the error cause, e.g. “Your message was rejected because it does not follow our formatting guidelines”, this can then be extended/replaced with a bit more nuanced message for special cases (e.g. in the All-Caps case add “All-Caps messages are not allowed” or something like that).