Integration with Slack?

(bootstraponline) #1

I found this Slack on Twitter: "@codinghorror @discourse Wow — great to hear it. Welcome aboard :)"

It seems there’s no way to get Slack messages from Discourse though.

(Sam Saffron) #2

Hmmm what exactly are you asking for here?

(bootstraponline) #3

I want to see Discourse messages in Slack. When someone posts a message
then I can view it in Slack and click into Discourse. I guess that’s up to
Slack?

(Sam Saffron) #4

Slack has an API, you would need to build a plugin that posts to slack, alternatively slack could poll our RSS feed.

(Michael Downey) #5

AFAICT, Slack is just a set of proprietary/non-free plugins on top of the open source IRC platform. We use Supybot IRC bot and its RSS plugin to poll our Discourse RSS feed and announce new topics in our channel. It works quite nicely and took maybe 10 minutes to set up.

(Sam Saffron) #6

That is way wrong.

I guess at the end of the day everything reduces typing words into boxes:

That said, Slack is Awesome, we use it daily, they have great attention to detail and created a very awesome web chat platform.

(Michael Downey) #7

Sorry, which part of what I said is wrong? :slight_smile: They built their product on IRC then proprietarized the backend, too.

“Tiny Speck used tools built on top of IRC to avoid use of email … while it no longer uses IRC as a backend, the origins in IRC are clear.” - Die, Email, Die! A Flickr Cofounder Aims To Cut Us All Some Slack - ReadWrite

The other stuff is about my own project, so I’m pretty sure it’s accuarte, too. The use of IRC is standard and universal among free and open source projects. Other free software like MeetBot and Supybot, and free and non-free clients like IRCcloud have similar functionality that Slack has duplicated. In fact, you won’t find a single successful FOSS project (even Discourse, “unofficially”) that doesn’t have any IRC presence for very long.

Anyway, the great thing about free software like IRC and Discourse is that it’s easy and permission-free to extend it to work with all kinds of proprietary software like Slack. I was simply saying that since Slack was built on IRC, its IRC (and XMPP) gateways are still working. Yay! :dancer:

I’m very curious about how to use Slack to manage a team or an organization. Do you guys are using it for what? Can you share some uses cases where is convenient?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

It’s just a very nicely designed web chat.

The first one I like as much as the Stack Exchange chat we built…

(bootstraponline) #10

What’s the URL for the RSS feed that contains the new discourse topics?

(Jeff Atwood) #11

View source – each of the “primary” Discourse pages has a RSS feed specified in the HTML markup.

(bootstraponline) #12

Thanks. I found it. Appium Discuss - Latest topics

(bootstraponline) #13

I’m in the process of setting up Slack integration via the RSS feed and IFTTT. Discourse’s RSS feed isn’t compliant with IFTTT.

"Why am I having trouble with my feed in the Feed Channel?
RSS feeds used in the Feed Channel have a few requirements:
a top-level feed title and a unique link
a GUID and date for each entry
valid RSS or Atom syntax"
https://ifttt.com/help

The error is “Not a valid feed url, missing feed title”

Is it possible for Discourse to meet these technical requirements?

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Possibly, can you submit a pull request to add the necessary bits?

(bootstraponline) #15

I think IFTTT is bugged. I duplicated the discourse rss output unchanged to a different domain and then it didn’t complain. I solved the problem by using Slack’s built in RSS integration instead of IFTTT. That’s slow however it works. I expect Slack to add proper discourse integration eventually.

(Derek Smith) #16

Any traction on a Slack integration?

(bootstraponline) #17

I'm still using RSS. At some point I'm expecting slack to write a plugin.

(Themightychris) #18

Is there any way to construct an authenticated RSS feed URL? I’d like to feed a private discourse forum with “login required” enabled into a Slack channel

(Rahul Bansal) #19

Slack has RSS reader builtin.

We are using discourse RSS feed with slacks /feed command.

(Herb Caudill) #20

I just ran into this (trying to get new Discourse posts announced in Hipchat, using IFTTT to read the Discourse RSS feed). The problem is that our forum is locked down, so what IFTTT sees is the login page.

Any idea if there’s a way for IFTTT to authenticate a request for a feed?