Intense API use floods staff log?

(Robert) #1

Hello,

when a mail comes in, I plan to query the Discourse API to find out the mail address of the corresponding Discourse acount using the Discourse API:

As @riking mentioned, this leads to one logged staff action per request. For many mails, this means a very long (useless) staff log. Is the log shortened at some point? Can I clean it? Do I have to expect any scalability issues?

Best,
Robert

(Kane York) #2

The admin users list has a bulk email check button for each filter:

GET https://meta.discourse.org/admin/users/list/suspended.json?filter=&show_emails=true

which creates a single staff log.

I’m not sure if you can select multiple usernames or filter by group, though…

EDIT: Try doing this:

GET /admin/users/list/active.json?filter=%40association.org&show_emails=true

will show all users with an @association.org email, up to the page size.

You should also save the list and only refetch it when you have reason to believe it changed.

(Robert) #3

This functionality is indeed interesting and I have looked for it. Unfortunately, it is not really helping my case.

Somebody sends a mail to first.lastname@association.org . Using qmail, maildrop/mailfilter and ruby with Discourse gem, I do API look ups to try to find the mail address for a user ‘first.lastname’. Of course, the mail address of the actual user, won’t be first.lastname@association.org, but it’s GMail address for intstance.

Ideally, I would use the webhook plugin (Webhooks plugin) and listen to user-profile-changed or user-mail-changed events to update the cache of the routing script. Unfortunately, this is not (yet) supported.

As I don’t see how reasonable assumptions can be made on when users change their mail address, I think I need to request every time. :confused: That’s not too bad, except if the staff log doesn’t scale. Further disadvantage: the staff can see who received an incoming mail at which time…

(Robert) #4

My current idea to prevent flooding is to patch the users controller to not log this action. I found already the line. I keep watching the webhook plugin and switch to a more efficient solution once I can listen to user-profile-changed events.

Monkey patching a model from a plugin
(Robert) #5

I ended up to put the following snipet in my app.yml:

hooks:
  after_code:
    - replace:
        global: true
        filename: /var/www/discourse/app/controllers/users_controller.rb
        from: /^.*StaffActionLogger\.new\(current_user\)\.log_check_email.*$/
        to: ""

I just updated to 1.7.0.betaX using docker_manager and find that apparently the hook was not executed. I double-checked that the regex is still matching.

Should I take another hook than after_code? Is this intentional?

Replace hook in container is ignored when updating using docker_manager